nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What it Means to be Good Enough

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

What does it mean to be good enough? Why do we place this idea in our heads that we have to be good at something to actually achieve happiness?

The idea of being ‘good enough’ means many different things for different people. It is a natural instinct to compare ourselves to others, and when we do not feel as successful, significant, or beautiful, we place this idea in our heads that we are not ‘good enough.’

Deep down we all have this fear of being rejected. We make excuses for not being ‘good enough.’ Well, who do we have to be ‘good enough’ for? The guy we are trying to impress? The GPA needed to get into a certain program? The ideal weight we are trying to maintain? It shouldn’t matter.

Your mind can be pretty good at convincing you something that is totally wrong. In other words, you mind will lie to you. The side effect of believing these lies is thinking that you are not good enough.

There is no defining aspect in life that will truly make you ‘good enough,’. It simply does not exist.

I believe this whole idea of being ‘good enough’ should be thrown out the window. It is important to remember to accept what you have in life. Do not constantly keep searching for the next thing that will make you ‘good enough.’

Getting rid of the idea ‘good enough’ will rid you of your insecurities and your sadness. So let’s stop using a standard of ‘good enough’ and replace it with ‘happiness.’ 

When you find happiness, your search to be something else is over. Constantly searching in life does not bring happiness.

In college, there can be a lot of pressure to be ‘good enough.’ But what I am saying is do not fall into that trap. Yes, college may determine what you want to do for the rest of your life. So, find something that you do that makes your heart happy. Key word, heart, not your mind. Like I said earlier, your mind can trick you into believing something that is false, in other words, your mind is the part of you that makes you believe you are not ‘good enough.’

Find happiness in your heart and that will overcome to idea of being ‘good enough’ any day.

Who we are today is what we have, so find happiness in that. Do not keep constantly searching for the next thing to make you ‘good enough’ because remember, we don’t use those words anymore.

Inspried journalist who loves to tell stories. Orginally from Charlotte, North Carolina.