What Happened to Hiddleswift?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston broke up on Sept. 6, after a short-lived three months together.

Swift and Hiddleston hit it off at the 2016 Met Gala where they engaged in a dance-off. “I sat next to her at dinner that night, and she’s very charming, she’s amazing,” Hiddleston told MTV. On June 15, the couple was photographed snuggling together in Rhode Island. This was the start of their whirlwind romance.

As the romance continued, the couple jetted from place to place, meeting each other’s parents in their respective hometowns, and enjoying lavish vacations together in Rome and Australia.

So what happened to this romance? The public following their relationship have been speculating different theories surrounding the breakup.

The most popular theory claims the romance was simply an act for a music video. Some fans believe Swift will be releasing a new album soon. The theory seems to stem from Swift’s Fourth of July party where Hiddleston was reportedly wearing an ‘I heart TS’ t-shirt.

Others say the couple split over Hiddleston’s ‘love of the limelight.’ A confidant close to Swift told The Sun, “It was all far too public, in the end. Tom freaked her out with his love of the limelight.” Some people have even suggested that Hiddleston used the ‘limelight’ from his relationship to get the role of the next James Bond.

Hiddleston’s friends fired back, arguing it was the other way around. In July, Hiddleston told The Hollywood Reporter, “The truth is that Taylor Swift and I are together, and we’re very happy. Thanks for asking. That’s the truth. It’s not a publicity stunt.”

Hiddleston was nomminated for Best Actor for his role as spy Jonathan Pine in BBC drama The Night Manager at the Emmys. Swift was reluctant to attend the Emmy’s with him, which was a major cause of their split, according to friends close to Hiddleston. Taylor Swift has repeatedly avoided red carpet events with her high-profile boyfriend. One source told The Sun, “He’s humiliated that she’s so against it and won’t put her tradition of avoiding red carpet events with boyfriends to one side for him on his big night.”

We’re not sure what really happened to Hiddleswift, but we’re still disappointed that their relationship is done for.