yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Top 10 Pop Culture Halloween Costumes of 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

This year, the most popular Halloween costumes are inspired by pop culture. Whether you’re going solo, as a couple, or as a group, these celebrity-inspired looks can be adapted for any Halloween outing. 

1. Miley Cyrus

Miley has provided so many memorable outfits this year to choose from. You can go with the nude body suit from her VMAs performace (complete with foam finger), the white blazer and pants from her Cosmopolitan cover, or dress in all white and carry around an imiatation wrecking ball. Whichever look you choose, don’t forget the most important accessory – your tongue! 

2. Daisy Buchanan from The Great Gatsby

Go with this 1920s inspired look for a classy costume. For this costume you’ll need fur, feathers, and beads; and in this case less is not more. Don’t forget a champagne glass, and to make this a couple costume, a handsome Jay Gatsby on your arm. 

3. Barden Bella from Pitch Perfect

If you’re a fan of Pitch Perfect (why wouldn’t you be), this costume is an easy and identifiable option. Throw on a pencil skirt and matching short-sleeve blazer, tease your hair in a pouf, and don’t forget to tie an ascot around your neck while you belt your favorite mash-ups throughout the night. 

[pagebreak]

4. Katniss Everdeen

Bring out your inner badass with a Katniss costume this Halloween. All you need is a black rain jacket, makeshift bow and arrow, and a long brown braid – don’t forget a Mockingjay pin too! Make it a couple costume by having your boy dress as Peeta…or Gale – sadly, you can only choose one. 

5. Jess from New Girl

Who’s that girl? It’s (you dressed as) Jess! Zooey Deschanel’s character on New Girl is fun, playful, and has a super quirky style. Bright colors, polka dots, and stripes printed on girly dresses are just what you need to dress like Jess. Play up your eyes and throw on goofy glasses to top it all off. 

6. Amanda Bynes

Bring out your inner crazy this Halloween with an Amanda Bynes-inspired look. Glue rhinestones on your cheeks to imitate her outrageous piercings, pair with oversized sunglasses, and choose either blue hair or blue lipstick to complete the look. 

7. Hannah from Girls

Whether or not you’re more of a Marnie, Shoshanna, or Jessa, Hannah has the most recognizable look on the show. Find a goofy printed dress or romper, add a cardigan with a miss-matched print, and draw a giant tattoo on your right arm (Q-tip in ear optional).  

[pagebreak]

8. Carrie from Homeland

For a more toned-down crazy, try dressing as Carrie Mathison. Wear a boring, matching suit and pin straight hair. Make sure to scrunch and twist your face and look like you’re in pain. White wine should be your drink of choice for the evening. This can easily become a couple costume is you find a fiery red-head to be your Brody. 

9. Mindy from The Mindy Project

No one does stylish doctor chic like Dr. Mindy Lahiri on The Mindy Project. For this costume, wear a hip, young outfit and throw on a lab coat and stethoscope to balance out sky-high stilettos 

10. Piper from Orange is the New Black

First off, if you haven’t watched Orange is the New Black, you’re crazier than Crazy Eyes. Secondly, this is one of the best costume ideas of the year. Whether you want to go as Piper, Alex, or Red, all you need is an orange jumpsuit, cheap tennis shoes, and slightly greasy hair. The only thing better than dressing as a character yourself would be getting a giant group to go as the entire cast.