Tips for Mastering Class Registration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.
  1. Meet with your advisor.

Make sure you make an appointment online with your advisor by logging in to Appalnet, then clicking on the AppalNET tab (not My AppalNET) and there’s an advising section where you can follow directions to make an appointment. Make sure you bring a notebook to make a list of the classes you’ll need to sign up for and get a pin number to register if you need it.

1. Check Degree Works.

If you aren’t familiar with Degree Works, it basically lays out your entire transcript and class list for you. Login to Appalnet and click on the large Degree Works logo on the left side. You can check your GPA, credits, and courses taken/still needed. Degree Works makes General Education seem much less daunting and can help you determine what you still need to take.

1. Don’t stack up classes.

Never take all GenEd or Major classes in one semester. This is the fastest way to get overwhelmed and burned out. If you’re still not sure what you want to do, it’s okay to take more GenEd classes, but take something else that interests you. You’ll be happier down the road if you don’t have to take 5 marketing classes and can squeeze a P.E. or art class in.

1. Plan out at least 4 schedule options.

I like to write down possibilities for different schedules based on their times offered. This way, if classes are taken once you get to register, you have backup options.

1. Give yourself a break.

Some people love taking all 5 of their classes back to back on Tuesday/Thursday but I personally can’t. I find it much easier to be successful if you give yourself a lunch break between classes and don’t stress yourself out with no down time in-between.

1. Check Rate My Professor.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to check ratemyprofessors.com before registering for classes. You can have the perfect schedule and list of classes, but if you have terrible professors, it can ruin your entire semester. I’ve taken classes at inconvenient times just to make sure I had the right professor for the class; this can make all the difference.

1. Write down CRNs before your registration time.

Make sure you write down the course registration numbers for each class before you register. This way, when it’s time to register, you can quickly enter in all the numbers without having to search and look them all up, which can waste time and cause you to lose a class.

1. Don’t stress out.

Class registration can be extremely stressful if you let it overwhelm you. However, if you follow these tips and plan everything out, you can get all the classes you need to have a great semester!