Time Management Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I was always terrible at time management and my junior year has been a lot busier than I expected. But between honor societies, working for The Appalachian and writing for Her Campus, I’ve had to become a lot better at time management. Since structure is so important in college, I thought I’d share a few helpful tips for organizing and distributing your time.

One of the ways I’ve learned to manage my time better is writing everything down. I bought a huge planner and I plan out all of the homework and studying I need to do for that day and then I highlight an item once I complete it. That way, I have a visual reminder of what I need to do every single day. It’s also a great way to hold myself accountable for actually doing my work.

Another thing I’ve learned this year that helps is doing homework when it’s assigned. I know in college that can seem a bit obnoxious, but it really makes things less stressful. Working a little bit on an assignment instead of cramming makes weeks and months go by smoother.

The final thing I’ve done to help myself is plan out my week, especially regarding social events. I always try to make sure I plan these out as best as I can. That way, I know what days I need to plan on doing less or more work. Planning this out may seem tedious, but it’s really helpful!

Even though I’ve been busier this year than in previous years, learning how to manage my time better has helped me be more accomplished by balancing my school work and social life more efficiently.

Take it from us here at HC – the more organized you are, the less stress you have to deal with!

I'm a junior journalism major from Fayetteville, North Carolina and I attend Appalachian State University. I'm the News Editor for The Appalachian and a writer for Her Campus - Appalachian State.
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!