Three Things to Watch on Netflix if You’re Still in the Romantic Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind (2004)

When Clementine and her boyfriend Joel suffer a nasty breakup, she takes drastic measures to remove him not just from her life, but from her mind. When Joel learns Clementine has medically erased him from her memory, he decides on a whim to do the same. However, the process of forgetting Clementine isn’t as simple as he’d hoped. 

Eternal Sunshine is offbeat, twisted and, at times, confusing. It’s Jim Carrey at his least Jim Carrey-est. It’s Kate Winslet at her most endearing. It’s an intellectually provocative film that’ll stick with you long after the credits roll.

Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging (2008)

Fourteen-year-old Georgia is battling mean girls, trying to make the new guy at school fall in love with her, and watching her best friend obtain the life she’s always dreamed of, all while dealing with the slew of other pressures that come with being a girl growing up. 

It’s set up like countless other tween rom-coms, but Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging gets right what so many others have gotten wrong. Georgia’s schemes to try to make an older boy fall in love with her are just as entertaining when you’re 22 as they where when you were 12. It’s one of the most honest—and genuinely funny—depictions of what it’s like to be 14 years old and hopelessly in love. 

Big Mouth’s My Furry Valentine (2019)

Jay has moved on from f*cking his bathmat and is back to pillows — boy and girl this time! Andrew’s trying to woo Missy (and losing his hair in the process), Jessi and Matthew are relishing their time ignoring the holiday.  Nick has a new hormone monster — Connie — and she isn’t what he was expecting. She’s cursed him with adolescent sass and sensitive nipples. 

Big Mouth’s Valentine’s Day special is perfect If you need something short to watch while you’re getting ready to go out on Saturday night. If you haven’t watched the show yet, start now. It’s one of the best gifts Netflix has given us.

Dianna is a graduate of the class of 2019 at Appalachian State University where she studied Public Relations, Journalism and English. At Her Campus, she served as App State's campus correspondent and editor-in-chief.