This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

This is not something I’ve been overly excited to write about or even something anyone should have to write about. Nevertheless, here we are because it’s something that needs to be said and said again until action and a solution takes place.

It has been a few weeks now since we have heard the latest cry around the world about yet another school shooting. The tragedy took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. I cannot even begin to fathom the feelings or experience of the victims or families of this shooting and I hope that myself or anyone else never has to again. My heart truly goes out to everyone who has ever experienced such a tragedy or lost a loved one due to it. The image of families standing outside of a school waiting to see if their loved one made it out or not gives me chills.

The fact that victims, fathers, mothers, and friends of victims of the shooting immediately started to protest, even after such a tragedy, just showed how truly strong they are. Recently, the news, media have taken a step back and the discussion and reports on the issue have slowly began to fade again it seems. This cannot be a subject that just gets pushed under the rug or silenced. 

We’ve had one too many shooting incidents in the past few years, not just in schools, but places like concerts too. These are places where people should not have to question and constantly worry about their safety. I cannot help but to continuously question how in the world did we get here? When did mass shootings become an outcry or a “solution” to a problem in people’s minds? I am not going to get political here because this is not a time for anyone’s political agenda, that is the last thing I want to do, but I am going to address the elephant in the room which is the subject of guns and gun control.

The problem is not the gun itself. Guns have been around for decades and rarely ever did people witness mass school shootings. Guns are mainly for safety and protection, NOT mass shootings. So, why all of the sudden is this happening? Is the problem laws? It very well could be. Certain guns or guns in general are way too easy for people to access right now. Could the problem be overlooking the state of people’s mental well-being? I think so. These people are crying for help and they need to be provided with help and support before it ever gets to the point of something like a school shooting. Should teachers be expected to carry a gun? No. This is not their job or what they signed up for. Their job is to help people learn and grow. Should there be more of an investment in school safety? Most definitely. If the government will not take action, it’s time for individuals in states or even in cities to take action. 

To end on a positive note or rather some words of motivation, everyone has a voice and a right to that voice, however, one of the most important things to remember is to listen to one another, be kind and love one another because right now this world needs it more than ever. This world, the U.S., needs to come together and find a solution and find one soon. These tragedies have become way too familiar. 

Our time in this world is precious enough and should not be cut short due to tragedies that can be better avoided.