This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Although it may not always feel like it in Boone, summer is on the way and every collegiette I know is certainly dreaming of warmer days. Whether you’re planning on spending your summer taking class, working at home, traveling, studying abroad, or maybe even at camp, there are some things a girl just can’t (and shouldn’t) go without in her wardrobe. 

1. Printed Maxi Dress

There should be at least one killer maxi dress in your closet ready to go at all times. The maxi is perfect for layering with light sweaters, button –ups, scarves, long necklaces, and more. Whether you’re going to a casual backyard affair or brunch with family, the maxi dress is ideal for almost any occasion. The gorgeous maxi shown here is a Free People dress ($78).

2. Leather Sandals

This one might seem like a no brainer, but a good pair of well-made leather sandals can really go a long way in your wardrobe. Find a pair that matches well with most things in your closet but also speak to your personal style and you really won’t regret buying them… even if they do cost a pretty penny.

3. Breezy Tunic

A beautifully printed tunic pairs nicely with your staple pair of jean shorts or could even be worn as a dress (if it’s long enough!). The tunic is great because it covers everything we love to hide about our bodies and actually looks put together. 

4. Jean Shorts

Cut-off jean shorts are the only pair of pants you should be wearing all summer long. They’re perfectly versatile with a number of different outfits and can be altered to fit your personal style. Buy a pair of old jeans from the thrift store and cut them to your desired length and go from there! The ones pictured here are from Urban Outfitters ($59).

5. Your Favorite Sneakers

Every self-respecting collegiette needs a pair of good ole roughed up sneakers to throw on with just about anything casual. Vans, Converse, Nike, and Reebok… the list of top picks go on. For days when sandals just won’t get the job done, it’s great to have that one pair of sneakers that never lets you down. For me, it’s my dirty old light blue Chuck Taylors given to me by my best friend that I wear on a weekly basis. Worn with jean shorts, rompers, and even casual dresses, sneakers are great to have on hand.

6. Printed Headbands

One of my friends, (and coincidentally a member of the HC App State team) Katy Huis calls headbands “shower replacements” and that might just be the truest description I’ve heard. A thick, bold patterned headband will surely save you from a bad hair day every single time. Throw your hair into a topknot and no one will ever be able to tell that you skipped your morning shower… It will keep the fly away hairs and frizz out of your face and you’ll instantly look more chic. This beautiful headband is from Anthropologie ($32)!

Alla Hill

App State

Alla Hill is a Junior at Appalachian State University working towards a degreee in Nutrition and Foods with a concentration in Dietetics. She is originally from Greenville, SC but loves being able to call the High Country home for now! Alla's interests include creative writing, hiking, shoe shopping, cooking with friends, collecting bumper stickers, and tumblr blogging.