kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer Music Festival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As the weather warms up in Boone everyone’s got one thing on their mind: summer vacation. We’re all dreaming of trips to the beach, floating down the river, days spent on the lake…and outdoor concerts with friends! I’ve made a short (and somewhat incomplete) list of festival details for those of us who just can’t wait for concert season.

Merle Fest

Where: Wilkesboro, NC

When: April 24-27th, 2014

Who: Old Crow Medicine Show, Carolina Chocolate Drops, The Fox Fire, The Duhks, and Keller Williams (and more!).

What is it? Hosted by Wilkes Community College, this local North Carolina event is just a short drive down the mountain from Boone and perfect if you enjoy listening to country, blues, rock, bluegrass, and the like! If you’re proud to live in Appalachia and want to celebrate what that means, buy your tickets for Merle Fest now and you surely won’t be disappointed.

What to wear: You’re going to want to bring out the cowboy boots for this one. Pair with a fun summer romper or jean shorts and you can’t go wrong.

Photo Source

Coachella

Where: Indio, CA

When: April 11-13th and April 18-20th, 2014

Who: A$AP Ferg, Arcade Fire, Ellie Goulding, Muse, MGMT, Kid Cudi, Foster The People, Chance The Rapper, Beck, and BANKS.

What you should know: If you’re looking for time in the sun with amazing music and maybe some celebrity sightings, tap into your savings account and get passes now. The lineup for Coachella is seriously amazing but it basically goes without saying that Coachella is the type of festival that hipsters absolutely flock to. There’s an infamous video that Jimmy Kimmel created called Lie Witness News Coachella 2013 where Jimmy says, “We asked people walking into the venue, what they thought of a bunch bands who’s names we made up.” The hipsters fell for the camera crew’s seemingly exhaustive knowledge of fictitious artists and the results are pretty hilarious.

What to wear: Lightweight and breathable clothing is a must in the California heat. Crop tops and shorts are perfect and cool sneakers are welcome. Throw on some funky geometric jewelry and you’re done.

Photo Source

Bonnaroo

Where: Manchester, TN

When: June 12-15th, 2014

Who: Elton John, Kanye West, Vampire Weekend, The Avett Brothers, Frank Ocean, The Flaming Lips, and Skrillex.

What’s it all about? Calling all hippies, Bonnaroo is a festival famous for welcoming all good vibes and cultivating happiness among strangers. The lineup is always amazing and I hear the atmosphere is unbeatable. A pass to Bonnaroo really will make you the envy of Boonies all around you.

What to wear: I think it’s safe to say that anything goes here. Pull out your favorite weirdly printed cropped tank top from Goodwill, acid wash jean shorts, sandals (maybe even Chacos…), and with a flower in your hair you’ll fit right in.

Hangout

Where: Gulf Shores, AL

When: May 16-18th, 2014

Who: The Black Keys, The Killers, Pretty Lights, Childish Gambino, Modest Mouse, Jack Johnson, STS9, and Matt and Kim.

Right for you if… What could be better than hanging out at the beach for three days dancing and listening to amazing music? Not a lot of things seem to come to mind… The Hangout might be calling to you if you’re not the type who likes to go without showers for days but still want to be a part of the festival atmosphere. With a wide variety of performers you’re sure to find music to suit your tastes and have a blast at the beach.

What to wear: As the Hangout is on the beach in Alabama it seems only right that you wear a cute bathing suit with your favorite cover up or tank. Accessorize with a hat to protect your face from sunburn and waterproof sandals.

Photo Source

Firefly

Where: Dover, DE

When: June 19-22nd, 2014

Who: Foo Fighters, Imagine Dragons, Cherub, Young the Giant, Weezer, The Lumineers, Vance Joy, and Third Eye Blind.

What is it? Though relatively new on the block, the music festival in the woodlands of Delaware always has a pretty impressive lineup. Every Boonie should be glad to see that Cherub is indeed performing as well as tons of other great artists. The festival is purposely modeled somewhat after Bonnaroo’s open-air style with lots of space for outdoor camping in a wooded area. Striving to create a relaxing environment they even set up hammocks for you, how great is that?!

Big Guava

Where: Tampa, FL

When: May 2-4th, 2014

Who: Vampire Weekend, Outkast, Foster The People, Slightly Stoopid, Cake, Sleigh Bells, Tegan and Sara, and Walk the Moon.

What is it? Though smaller than some other summer festivals, Big Guava boasts a strong lineup with alternative, indie, hip-hop, and electronic artists. You may not have heard of it but it also may be one of the most affordable festivals of the summer with single day passes starting at only $65! Fun fact: the name “Big Guava” comes from the nickname given to Tampa back in the 1970s as a nod to NYC’s “Big Apple” nickname. 

CounterPoint

Where: Kingston Downs, GA

When: April 25-27th, 2014

Who: Outkast, Krewella, J. Cole, Flosstradamus, GRiZ, Schoolboy Q, Moon Taxi, Wild Cub, Big Gigantic, and Janelle Monae.

What to expect? Outkast is headlining at a fair few festivals this summer but their show at CounterPoint may just top them all.  (We stabbing every city then we headed to that bat cave ATL, Georgia, what we do for ya.–Rosa Parks by Outkast). Known for their love for their hometown, Atlanta, Outkast is sure to pull out all the stops for this show in Georgia on their reunion tour this summer. CounterPoint is known for it’s strong representation of electronic music but they also attract great hip-hop artists to the festival as well.

Alla Hill

App State

Alla Hill is a Junior at Appalachian State University working towards a degreee in Nutrition and Foods with a concentration in Dietetics. She is originally from Greenville, SC but loves being able to call the High Country home for now! Alla's interests include creative writing, hiking, shoe shopping, cooking with friends, collecting bumper stickers, and tumblr blogging.