Students Repond to Je Suis Charlie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

On January 7th, radical Islamists attacked a satirical French newspaper, Charlie Hebdo, killing 12 staff members. The attack was in response to Charlie Hebdo depicting the Prophet Mohammed in unflattering cartoons. Since then, many different arguments about religious sensitivity and freedom of the press have risen across the world. One such movement being “Je Suis Charlie” (I am Charlie), which is the French people’s way of uniting in support of the newspaper.

Although many students hadn’t heard of the attacks, we talked to some who did:

What is your opinion on Charlie Hebdo drawing cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed?

“The drawings were really distasteful and rude, but within the circumstances of freedom of speech, I do believe they were exercising their freedom of speech. There are plenty of peaceful ways to oppose or protest these types of views; violence is not acceptable.” –Muslim Student Association

“It is true that not everybody can understand it and have a bad interpretation of its covers. On the surface, it first can be direct and offensive, but when you truly understand and have the skills and knowledge for it, it denounces society issues.” –Sandra le Mouellic, international student from France

“I understand what the terrorists did is a pretty bad thing, but I don’t agree with [Charlie Hebdo] insulting an entire group of people.” -Jesse Claybo, junior appropriate technology major

“I think that everyone has the right to freedom of speech. They are a satirical publication, after all. I don’t feel like the fact that it was offensive is reason enough to justify slaughter, and if their purpose was to ‘protect their religion,’ then killing off the Muslim police officer that confronted them was pretty f***ed up.” –Emily Wolschlag, senior management major

“I think there is a very fine line between expressing your opinions and being intentionally offensive. I just feel like they had to have expected some sort of backlash from printing something that’s so incredibly offensive. However, I don’t feel like they ‘deserved it’.” -Lacy Matusek, sophomore commercial photography major

What does this attack mean for the French people?

“A lot of hearts are going to have to be mended. All of the people of France, no matter what their religious background is, will have to come together and show that they are bigger than this, they are bigger and stronger than those who try to instill terror and fear in their hearts.” –Muslim Student Association

“The eventual loss of freedom. Kill people for a cartoon, how stupid it is. It is scary how free and easy it is to be killed for this. We can’t imagine, understand why. It isn’t something we are supposed to witness in 2015, in a free society with rights.”-Sandra le Mouellic

“I think that it brought together the French people moreso than before. Seeing the whole country take to the streets was a beautiful thing as well as seeing world leaders hand in hand.” –Jesse Claybo

“I think it probably affects the people of France about the same as it effects any country that goes through something that makes them feel unsafe. I’m sure they are very angry and very sad.”-Emily Wolschlag

“I think it affects the French people because they have to take a side almost. They have to decide if they’re going to stand behind Charlie Hebdo and stand up for free speech or if they want to say ‘Hey, what you’re printing is offensive.’ It’s also hard for them to take the second stand because that’s almost like them saying they feel like what happened is acceptable.” Lacy Matusek

How do you think this affects French Muslims?

“Unfortunately I think French Muslims will have a hard time of things for a while. When vile attacks like this happen people tend to look at all people, of that attacker’s religion or background with distrust and at times hatred even though it was perpetrated by a few individuals. French Muslims may be looked at or treated differently by those who feel that way.” –Muslim Student Association

Unfortunately, there are still close-minded people who confuse Muslims and radical Islamists. More than 100 attacks targeted Muslims since Charlie Hebdo events. It has increased Islamaphobia. Once, there was a movement called ‘not in my name’ to make people understand [Muslims] don’t share the same values as Islamists.” –Sandra le Mouellic

“I would say they…are furious about how a few people (terrorists) can make a bad name for an entire group of people.” –Jesse Claybo

“I think the Muslim population of France is probably experiencing a lot of the same things [as other], sadness and anger. They are probably getting looked at differently too. I can’t imagine they all feel safe right now.” –Emily Wolschlag

“It’s just important to remember that regardless if a person is Muslim or Jewish or Christian there are still extremists of all sorts.” –Lacy Matusek

Clare is a junior international business major at App State. She loves to travel, learn new languages, and try pretty much anything. When she isn't running around campus in a coffee/procrastination induced panic, Clare can be found bumming around with her roomies.