This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Meet Alexa Cook, a special education major who is also working on a psychology minor here at Appalachian. On any given day, you can find this ball of sunshine running, reading, working with kids, spending time outdoors, or on a coffee shop date. Alexa describes herself as a woman who is passionate about Jesus, students with disabilities, promoting positive self-image among men and women, and loving and serving her  brothers and sisters in Christ.

Yet for Alexa, things haven’t always been as bright as the rooms that her joyful personality lights up. Alexa told Her Campus about the darker times, when she endured one of the most difficult feats of her entire life—struggling to live with an eating disorder.

Statistics from the National Eating Disorder Association show that nearly 10 million women in America live with an eating disorder. 

The hardest thing I have ever been through is an Eating Disorder. I still struggle with this today, but it was a huge struggle for me throughout my first year of college. I honestly don’t believe there is a set “cure” for Eating Disorders, but there are many ways to go through recovery. My recovery has consisted of seeing a counselor, lots of prayers and time with the Lord, support from my mom, seeing a doctor, and seeing a dietician. I used the Wellness Resources on campus like the counseling center, health services, and the wellness center. Besides the Lord, my mom has without a doubt supported me most throughout my recovery. She has been a fountain of knowledge and an ever present source of motivation and encouragement. My mom has been my shoulder to cry on, my rock when I am week, my spiritual role model, a source of unconditional love, and my absolute best friend.”

Since her freshman year, Alexa has grown a lot. To her peers, she’s a positive force during the toughest times. To her mentors, she is a strong and inspirational young leader. Alexa has been able to find solace in her spirituality, while also discovering what factors and facets of life empower her as a woman. #GirlPower

Q: What empowers you as a woman?

A: Leading Delight (a women’s campus ministry) and my relationship with the Lord empowers me. He is my strength and my shield (Psalm 28:7). I find my identity in Him and I am confident because I am a child of the King and the Most Holy. Leading Delight has boosted my confidence in my ability to lead others and empower them. Additionally, it has challenged me to be vulnerable and to realize the power in opening up to other women and how much it can boost my self-esteem.

Q: Who do you look up to most?

A: I look up to my Mom the most. She is the strongest person I know. My Mom balances two jobs, is an active member of my church, and is the best mom I know. She is supportive, not only of my family, but of her students, fellow church goers, and community members. My Mom shines Christ’s light in all that she does. She is an active community member and loves those around her (even strangers) unconditionally and isn’t afraid to express this. She is a passionate teacher and an active and strong aerobics instructor. My Mother is a role model to me and many others in all that she does.

Alexa and her mother pictured above. 

Q: If you could give any advice to women who have been in a similar situation to yourself, what would you say?

A: I would tell any woman who is struggling with or is recovering from an Eating Disorder that she is not alone in her struggles. The media portrays Eating Disorders as “weird”, a “petty issue”, and “rare”. All of these are FALSE! Eating Disorders are very common among both men and especially women. You are NOT weird if you struggle with an Eating Disorder and it is not a petty problem. In fact, Eating Disorders are mental illnesses and should be taken seriously. I would tell any woman in recovery to keep working hard! Stay strong! Recovery is so hard, especially in a country where so much of daily life and social activities involves food. Don’t give up and don’t be ashamed if you relapse. This is all normal. You are amazing. You are beautiful, not matter how you look or what the mirror says, and most importantly, you are loved by the Creator of this Universe. XOXO. 

Ladies, take Alexa’s advice. You are not alone. Utilize your campus resources, reach out for support, and most importantly–on your road to recovery, find who and what empowers YOU as a woman. 

Jordan is a Freshman at Appalachian State working a degree in Communications and Public Relations. She's a member of the Theta-Nu chapter of Alpha Phi, and currently serves as the Director of Target Membership Marketing for the chapter. Jordan is an intern newsdesk reporter at The Appalachian campus paper. In her free time, she loves being lazy with the gent, Lee, and their puppies; Macey, Jack, and Ruby. Her dream job is to be a News Anchor.