Spike It: Meet Courtney Sullivan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Courtney Sullivan is from the small town called Commerce Twp. in Michigan.

After playing volleyball for eight years, she was recruited for Appalachian State University’s volleyball team. When asked why she chose App State, Courtney said, “The team and mission of the volleyball program was the type of competitiveness and culture I wanted to be a part of.”

As a student athlete, Courtney balances a 30-40 hour schedule of practicing, training, competition, volunteering, team leadership, and travel with a full academic curriculum. She is the secretary for the Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC), which strives to help enhance experience for all student-athletes. Courtney shares her love for volleyball by coaching App State’s volleyball camps through the summer.

“As an athlete, I have grown into a person that to pushes myself more than I ever think I could both on and off the court,” Courtney said. “I’ve grown to be disciplined, strong, confident and to maximize everyday of this beautiful life.”

With a major in sustainable development and a focus in community, regional, and global development, Courtney had the opportunity to intern this past summer at Catskill Animal Sanctuary (CAS). CAS is one of the world’s leading sanctuaries for farm animals. Courtney had the chance to work under a variety of facets within the sanctuary, whether it was curriculum, tour training, cuisine, education, or video production.

When Courtney is not on the court, she enjoys cooking for others. Healthy eating is important to her and she loves to share that with her friends and family!