This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

In years past, cellphones have become smartphones, and the smartphone has developed more and more uses every year.

However, there is a free application that students can get that offer resources for safety and support from campus if students feel need help.

This app, called App Cares, was launched in the spring 2014 semester in order to provide an easier way for students to get support then and there. In this app, there are six subsections of the application that include four on-campus or local resources and two national resources.

Resources on the app include App State campus police, which has the department number in case of emergency or if a student wants to report a crime, along with the location of the police department.

The mission of the Appalachian State University Police Department, as stated on their website, is be committed to “providing a safe working, living and learning environment through a community oriented policing philosophy.” This shows the commitment to the student body and a safe campus as being a core value to the on-campus police department.

Another resource for campus offered within the app is the Student Health and Counseling Services. The section includes the number for Student Health Services and its location.

Student Health Services is a student’s on-campus answer for things ranging from a common cold to some more serious medical needs, complete with an on-campus pharmacy with lower costs of medicine for students.

The Student Counseling and Psychological Services section includes the disclaimer of, “assisting in the creation and maintenance of a university environment that will foster the well-being and personal development of its members.”

App State’s Student Health and Counseling Services offer services such as short-term individual counseling, group counseling and prevention programs among others for currently enrolled students. If a student requires long-term, or more intensive treatment, the student is assisted in an off-campus referral in order to receive adequate treatment.

The third local resource available is Daymark Recovery Resources. This group works to provide a number of resources for those who may be seeking mental health or substance abuse treatments.

Daymark has locations in 28 counties in North Carolina with the Watauga County location right off of the Poplar Grove Connector in Boone. Each location offers slightly different services. The Watauga Center in Boone offers services such as mental health treatment, substance abuse treatment, in-home treatment and psychiatric services.

The final resource offered in Boone is OASIS of Boone. OASIS stands for Opposing Abuse with Service, Information, and Shelter. With locations in Avery and Watauga County, this organization has been working to end cycle of violence within our communities since 1978. The types of violence they’re trying to end is domestic abuse and sexual violence. OASIS provides emergency services and a safe environment for victims and survivors of domestic abuse.

They also work to provide education within the community to maintain healthy relationships between families, peers and partners. As with any kind of safety application, App Cares also includes two national services for students. These are the National Suicide Prevention Hotline and the National Sexual Assault Hotline.

The National Suicide Prevention hotline was first launched on January 1, 2005. Since then they have worked to provide confidential support to suicidal people regardless of the time or day. Since its’ launch, there have been many additions to improve services and suicide prevention efforts.

The National Sexual Assault Hotline was created by a group called RAINN, the Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network. This is the country’s first decentralized national hotline. This hotline provides a confidential conversation with a counselor at the closest local rape treatment center.

The victim can choose whether to provide personal details and the center is only required to contact authorities if the caller is under 18 and provides identifying information in a few states. This hotline, however, differs from the suicide hotline as the sexual assault hotline has business hours. There is an answering service for after business hours where victims may choose to leave a number or may just call back during business hours.

The final feature the App Cares application offers is the number for Safe Ride, an on-campus late night transportation service, along with the App Cares website for the latest on-campus safety information.

As a community, it is our job to help support one another, but when we don’t know where to turn, or feel alone, there are a variety of resources for the students to turn to if they feel that they are alone in whatever they may be facing. Through efforts such as these, it is truly shown that Appalachian cares.

A self proclaimed pizza making princess. Amanda enjoys eating foods that will possibly take years off her life and cats.