Should You or Should You Not Be Celebrating Valentine’s Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Valentine’s Day is kind of a stupid holiday. I mean does anyone really like it? Should we even be celebrating it as a holiday at all?

I have found that even people with boyfriends or girlfriends tend to not like Valentine’s Day. I mean what’s the big deal about celebrating your love for one another on a specific day? Shouldn’t you already be doing that on a daily basis?

Either way, Valentine’s Day is a very controversial holiday. Some people love it. Some people hate it. I’m here to help you decide why you should or shouldn’t celebrate Valentine’s Day. 

First off, why should you celebrate Valentine’s Day?

1. It’s a good way to express your love to your significant other.

You might be thinking, my boyfriend already knows I love him or I always express my love, but Valentine’s Day is a great way to make your partner reassured. On a typical day, you and your partner probably discuss what’s going on in school, where should you two go out to eat next, or what each other’s plans are for the weekend. Valentine’s Day is a great time to stray away from the boring conversations you and your partner have and focus on your love for one another. At the beginning of a lot of relationships, you’re in the goo-goo ga-ga stage where you want to say how much you love your significant other all the time. After awhile, a lot of that goes away. So spend Valentine’s Day rekindling that lovey dovey talk. Tell your partner all the things you like about him or her. They’ll love hearing those words again, even if you’re sure they already know your feelings towards them.

2. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to create a nice Valentine’s Day.

C’mon, people. The big gifts are for Christmas and birthdays. You don’t have to spend a fortune buying your partner a lavish Valentine’s Day gift. You don’t really even have to buy them a gift at all. The importance of Valentine’s Day is to spend it with someone you love. Spend your Valentine’s Day showing your partner affection. That’s the best gift they could receive.

3. You can celebrate Valentine’s Day whether single or in a relationship.

Your relationship status is not important on Valentine’s Day. I know, thus far, I have talked mainly about spending Valentine’s Day with your partner. However, you can spend Valentine’s Day with anyone! Show your girlfriends how much you love them on Valentine’s Day or send your parents a special V Day gift. There’s no law on not being able to celebrate because you’re single. This holiday is about LOVE. It doesn’t matter who it’s directed towards. At least show someone you care. 

Now, why might it not be best to celebrate Valentine’s Day?

1. Celebrating Valentine’s Day could result in a bad ending.

Up until Valentine’s Day, you might think your relationship is going fine. But that’s because you haven’t been paying much attention to it. Unfortunately for some couples, Valentine’s Day is the only day that they spend fully together. If this is the case, it might allow you to realize that your relationship is failing. You may not know your partner as well as you think or you may not still have the same feelings for them you once had. If Valentine’s Day is coming up and you’re thinking, ‘Oh crap I don’t know if I can handle my partner for that long,’ it’s probably a sign that you’re not in a good relationship.

2. The presents SUCK!

“All girls love flowers.” FALSE. Lots of men think flowers are always a way to a woman’s heart. This is not the case. Flowers are typically way too high priced, especially on Valentine’s Day, and they don’t last long at all. Also, who wants to receive a box of chocolates in which you come to find out you only like three pieces in the box? It’s not worth it. And if you really want a cute stuffed animal, your partner should be willing to buy it for you any day of the week. But after a couple days of that cute Valentine’s Day stuffed animal, where does it usually end up? In the closet or on the floor.

3. Romance should not be about showing your love for someone on a particular day.

If you’re in love with someone, they should know it. You shouldn’t have to show them with roses and chocolates and a nice date out to dinner. Love is more than that. It’s the little things that show a person you love them. Love is picking your partner up from class when it’s too cold to walk, love is saving the last ketchup packet for them to use when you really want it yourself, love is cleaning your apartment before they come home because you know they’ve had a stressful day at work. Love isn’t simply telling someone you love them because it’s Valentine’s Day and that’s the day you’re supposed to.