Seven Ways to Have Your Greatest Semester Yet!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s easy to get distracted by the day-to-day hustle and bustle of being a collegiette. After a fun, relaxing summer, it’s not always an easy transition into the fall semester. Do you ever feel like you leave yourself little to no opportunities during the day to just smile and realize that life is pretty enjoyable? Well, now you can! Here are seven day-making tips to ensure that this fall semester is one for the books:

1. Make your bed & eat a good breakfast every morning: It seems silly because this is something that we have been told since we were little. “Make your bed, young lady!” ….”Eat your breakfast before it gets cold!” You can still hear your mom’s voice in your head. But in these past four years, I have learned that by doing these minuscule tasks, your day starts off the right way. By making your bed, your room automatically looks ten times cleaner and it’ll be a less stressful environment to come home to at the end of the day. As for breakfast, it goes without saying. Your energy level depends on it and you’re going to need all the energy you can get to have the best semester yet!

2. Get organized: If not now, then when? By organizing your room, school materials, even your purse, you are setting yourself up for success. When times get really busy (i.e. midterm season) you’ll be very preoccupied with other things, and glad you organized your life early on.

3. Get some class: And I don’t mean Audrey Hepburn class, because let’s be honest, we collegiettes already have that. What I mean is take classes that your campus has to offer that doesn’t require textbooks, homework, and group projects. I’m referring to fitness classes. At the SRC, Mount Mitchell, and Quinn Center, you are likely to find a class (whether it be yoga, Pilates, or even rock climbing!) that can give you that extra boost you need during the day. For an added bonus, bring friends along with you—these classes are even better with buddies.

4. Enjoy the beautiful weather: Fact: There is nothing more perfect than a fall day in Boone. The temperature is mild, the leaves are changing, and our campus provides multiple places for us to hang out and soak it all in. Who says you have to waste away in Belk Library doing homework? Grab your books and a blanket and sit out on Sanford Mall or Durham Park. But hurry while the perfection lasts, the crazy winter weather will be here before you know it!

5. Introduce some “new” into your life: It’s often said that many people resist change, but sometimes change –even if its just a little adjustment—is good! This could be many things: new friends, new clubs, even a new haircut! So step outside of your box because studies show that a person is happier when there is a constant “freshness” in each day. These changes trigger progress, so find something that you could benefit from adding into your daily life and add it! You’ll thank yourself later!

6. Spice up your wardrobe: There is just something about putting on a new pair of shoes, a new dress, or even a new statement necklace that just feels….right. You don’t have to spend tons of money replacing the clothes in your closet, just treat yourself to some new fabulous staple pieces that can last you all season. Whether it’s a pair of jeans you have had your eye on at J.Crew, or a pair of shoes calling your name from the Gladiola Girls window, treat yosef.

7. Volunteer: You heard me right! There are so many opportunities available to us as college students in the town of Boone, so why not give back to the community and volunteer? I know you are shaking your head at the mental image of you picking up trash on the side of the road right now, and I’m just going to stop you right there! So many volunteer opportunities are just right around the corner, and most, if not all of them, are fun and rewarding! Take a drive down to the Humane Society and play with the puppies, or donate some of your time at the Watauga Medical Center! It’ll give you a sense of accomplishment and just make you feel darn good! Service to our community costs us nothing and pays exponential dividends.

Photo by: Jenny Comerford, Sophmore