This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

A typical spring break usually lands me spending the week one of two ways: working or just relaxing at home with my family. But as this is my last spring break ever, my best friend and I decided it was time we actually go on a trip as a way to celebrate (almost) finishing college. We decided that Savannah, Ga., would be our vacation destination for the week.

Neither of us had been before, but luckily for us, we have a friend from high school that now lives in Savannah who happily showed us all of the hidden gems that the southern city has to offer. Be sure to check out these spots if you’re ever in the area:

Owens-Thomas House

We spent our first full day in Savannah visiting museums in the downtown area. My personal favorite was the last one we visited, the Owens-Thomas House. It was one of the original homes that was built when Savannah was first colonized. Over the years, it has been restored to its original state and is now a museum open to the public. The architecture of the home is what really makes it stand out, notably a little bridge that connects the two halves of the second floor.

Funky Brunch Cafe

Out of all the places we went for breakfast, this was hands down my favorite. The cafe offers an array of breakfast foods, but their speciality is pancakes. Each table is equipped with a griddle in the middle so that if you choose, you can make your own pancakes right at the table. They serve you with a bottle of their homemade pancake batter and you get to let your creativity run wild and make whatever kind of pancakes you choose. That, on top of the great service, easily made it one of my favorite restaurants we went to.

Captain Derek’s Dolphin Adventure

Technically this activity is on Tybee Island, which is about 30 minutes from Savannah, but I loved it too much to not include it. If you’re far out enough and catch it right, you can see dolphins while on the Savannah river, and Captain Derek makes it easier for everyone to see the wild dolphins. As long as the weather permits, two boats go out on the river every afternoon to try and spot some dolphins. When we went out, we had the best experience and got to see so many, especially for how early in the year it was. But don’t worry — if you don’t see any dolphins, you can reschedule for free and go out again.

If you’re planning a trip to Savannah, you should definitely go and try out some of these incredible places — you won’t be disappointed!

All images courtesy of Madyson Hayes.

Dianna is a graduate of the class of 2019 at Appalachian State University where she studied Public Relations, Journalism and English. At Her Campus, she served as App State's campus correspondent and editor-in-chief.