Renee Rapp: 5 Things to Know About the North Carolina Native

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

With the new ‘Mean Girls’ musical out, it’s as good a time as any to take a Renee Rapp crash course. The 24-year-old has taken the last year by storm and I think it’s safe to say that she’s Gen Z’s It Girl. Renee has accumulated 6.7 million monthly listeners on Spotify and 1.7 million Instagram followers, leading her launch to success looking rather bright for her future. Here are five things to know about the Capricorn queen.

North Carolina Local 

As an NC girl myself, of course, I was going to be ecstatic to find out that Renee is from my home state. She grew up in Huntersville, attending Hopewell High School and later transferring to Northwest School of the Arts in Charlotte. At Hopewell, she was involved in theater and was on the varsity golf team. 

Winner of the 10th annual Jimmy Awards

In 2018, Renee won Best Actress at the Blumey Awards in Charlotte and went on to attend the Jimmy Awards in New York City later that year. It was there that she won “Best Performance by an Actress”, earning a $10,000 scholarship. 

Performed as Regina George on Broadway

They say art imitates life! Soon after her Jimmy Awards win, she continued performing in Charlotte before booking other roles which eventually led her to land Regina George on Broadway in 2019. Her career took flight after this.

Leading role in The Sex Lives of College Girls 

After Broadway, The Sex Lives of College Girls on HBO gave Renee a lead role, contributing to her gaining a new audience. The series has two seasons so far, with a renewal for a third season. She is set to be a recurring role in order to focus on her music.

Snow Angel was on Billboard’s Best Albums of 2023

Her debut album Snow Angel landed a spot at number 10 on Billboard’s list of Best Albums of 2023. A staff pick, Danielle Pascual, said “…the 23-year-old showcases her versatility as a songwriter without dulling the powerhouse vocals that initially broke her through” about Renee’s work. 

Renee Rapp is definitely a talent that should not be overlooked. Her tour last year was sold out, and as it can be seen she’s done a lot in the last few years. She certainly has a lot of opportunities lined up and I cannot wait to see what she does next!
Mean Girls is in theaters now. Snow Angel is available on Spotify and Apple Music. Stream The Sex Lives of College Girls on HBO.

Sophia Alayna

App State '24

Sophia is a Senior at Appalachian State University. She is pursuing a degree in English Creative Writing and Gender, Women's, & Sexualities studies! Sophia enjoys writing, getting in her feels, and creating/maintaining connections with loved ones.