The Race to be Human: Victim Blaming and Shaming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Plastered all over recent news, is the decision Florida State University made to pay $950,000 to Erica Kinsman, the women who made the claim that Jameis Winston raped her. Here’s what we know about the case:

• Kinsman made her claim on December 7, 2012, and it is only now that her former school is choosing to do something; even though immediately after being assaulted, Kinsman made the decision to get a rape kit, DNA testing, and file a police report.
  • The DNA that was tested from the rape kit came back positive, confirming that the sperm belonged to Jameis Winston, who was playing football at Florida Stae University.
  • Despite positive DNA results and Kinsman’s statement, law enforcement officials and FSU Student Conduct investigating the case turned a blind eye, thinking that Kinsman was exaggerating, or was “too drunk” to make a proper decision.

Winston is currently playing in the NFL for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and is the winner of the most recent Heisman.

Winston’s lawyer released the following statement, “This stunt was expected. Kinsman’s false accusations have already been exposed and rejected six times. This time will be no different. Mr. Winston welcomes the opportunity to clear his name with the truth. Mr. Winston is looking forward to the upcoming draft. He will not permit this ploy to distract him as he begins the journey of fulfilling his lifelong dream of being a championship quarterback in the National Football League.”

I am not here to pass allegations on Winston or Kinsman. I am not here to judge the actions of the two adults, because I was not personally there. I cannot judge the case.

But I am here to share the opinion that’s been simmering inside me.

Whether you are the President of the United States, an NFL player, a homeless person on the street, or your everyday average Joe; you have no right to ruin a woman’s, or anyone’s, life because you could not control yourself and because you “thought she wanted it” based on your own misjudgments and lack of general empathy for anyone but yourself.

This woman will never trust a man again, will never look at the outfit she wore that night in the same way, will never hear the songs she danced to that night without a tinge of pain, will never see her dream school in the same light, and certainly will never be the same ever again.

I know right, who am I to say all of this?

I’m someone with a beating heart. Yes, people make human mistakes, and yes they are worthy of forgiveness, but at the same time, they are ALL humans.

Because Winston is so influential in the football community, I see why he is being treated with such valor. I see that he has a bright future. I see that he is a man with talent that doesn’t just appear everyday. That being said, he is a human and made that same human mistake I was just talking about.

He doesn’t deserve to be treated like a hero when all the facts point to his fault, point to his guilt, and point to the fact that he is equal to us all.

No one deserves to think that what he did is something that is a naturally occuring phenomenon.

And Erica Kinsman certainly doesn’t deserve to think that she is insane for being open, honest, and vulnerable.

I can’t wait for the day that justice is served based on actions and not reputations or hierarchies. Until that day, all I pray for is peace, especially to you, Eric Kinsman.

Jennifer is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Sociology. When she isn't writing, Jennifer is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta-Nu Alpha, is writing music, is making your favorite coffee, stopping every stranger on the street to pet their dogs, probably napping, and giving glory to The Lord for all of the opportunities she has been given.