Style > Beauty

Products worth the splurge; take it from an Ulta Beauty Advisor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

With the massive variety of makeup products available, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out what makeup products are worth their price tag. Don’t worry, that is why I am here to help. As an Ulta Beauty Advisor, I have been able to test out lots of products and I am going to tell you what products I think are worth the splurge. 

Primer: Live Tinted Hueguard 3-in-1 Broad Spectrum Mineral SPF 30 Primer $32 

My all-time favorite primer is the Live Tinted Hueguard 3-in-1 Broad Spectrum Mineral SPF 30 Primer. It is so important to protect your skin from the sun and what’s better than an SPF that also doubles as a primer? This primer will give you a nice smooth base and it is also tinted so it won’t leave a white cast on your face.

Foundation: Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Liquid Foundation $40

If you want a more medium to full coverage foundation with a matte finish, I recommend the Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Liquid Foundation. This is a product I recommend on a daily basis to customers. It’s long wear, matte without drying your skin out and the shade range is incredible. Rihanna really outdid herself with this one.

fenty foundation
Sephora

Sephora

Tinted Moisturizer: Fenty Beauty Eaze Drop Blurring Skin Tint $35

Another great option for light coverage is Fenty’s tinted moisturizer. This product gives a soft glowy finish and is so quick and easy to apply, that you can even rub it in with your hands. 

Concealer: Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer $32

The Nars Creamy Concealer is hands down the best concealer I have ever used. It blends like butter and has a very natural finish. If you are someone who loves a no makeup, makeup look but still wants coverage, this is what you need. It is acne-safe and won’t clog your pores so it’s also great for covering any breakouts

nars concealer?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Sephora

Contour: Fenty Beauty Match Stix Contour Skinstick $32

I know Fenty keeps showing up but their products are just too good not to include. What I love about this contour stick is not just how blendable and pigmented it is, but how inclusive the shade range is, just like the foundation. The different shades also offer different undertones from cool to neutral so there are options for everyone. 

Sephora

Bronzer: Benefit Hoola Matte Powder Bronzer $35 

My long-time favorite has been the Benefit Hoola Bronzer. You know her, you love her, and she’s never let us down. She’s a staple for a reason. What’s nice about the Hoola bronzer is how long it lasts. A little goes a long way and you will rarely have to repurchase it. 

Blush: Nars Afterglow Liquid Blush $32

This blush melts into your skin and is very buildable. It won’t take off your makeup underneath because of how easy it is to blend in with just your fingertips. You can use it for a subtle hint of color or build it up for a more bold look. It also has a nice glow to it if you love a sunkissed, glowy look. 

Highlighter: Benefit Cookie Golden Pearl Powder Highlighter $35

Honestly you can’t go wrong with any of the Benefit highlighters but the cookie one is my favorite. It has a blinding shimmer to it without it too being glittery. If you don’t like highlighters with chunky glitter in it then this is for you.

Brows: Benefit 24-Hour Brow Setter Clear Brow Gel With Lamination Effect $26

The Benefit 24-HR Brow Setter will quite literally have your brows frozen. They will stay fluffed up and in place all day long. If you love the fluffy brow look then this is calling your name.

Mascara: Too Faced Better Than Sex Volume and Lengthening Mascara $29

The Better Than Sex Mascara is one of my all-time favorite mascaras. It makes your lashes look so full and long it’s incredible. I will say that you do have to give it a little wiggle motion when applying it. This technique helps to separate your lashes because it does have a thicker wand that holds a lot of product.

Too Faced

Mascara Bonus: Mac Dry Shampoo Mascara Refresher $24

This is a product that I was recently introduced to and it blew my mind. Throughout the day when your mascara is fading and your lashes have lost their curl and you need a refresh, this is a game changer. Unlike adding more mascara to what has already been on your eyelashes all day and making your eyelashes clump together, this mascara separates your lashes and brings them back to life.

Lip: Polite Society B.I.G. Mouth Lip Plumping Oil Gloss $27

Polite Society is a new makeup brand that just recently launched in Ulta Beauty stores in August of 2023. I recently tried their lip plumper and it is really intense. The tingling and burning sensation may be intense but it will plump up your lips like no other. Within three minutes you will look like you just got lip filler, it’s that good.

Setting Powder: Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder $43

I have tried so many different setting powders and this one is unmatched. It blurs and smooths out under the eyes so seamlessly. I love using this under my eyes after putting on my Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer because it just evens everything out and gives me an airbrushed finish.

Setting Spray: Urban Decay All Nighter Waterproof Setting Spray $36 

If you need a setting spray that is going to lock your makeup in place, no matter the amount of rain, tears, and sweat, look no further. This setting spray isn’t letting your makeup go anywhere no matter what you’re doing. When it says all-nighter it means all day and night. You can even spray it on in between makeup steps in order to ensure maximum hold.

https://www.ulta.com/p/all-nighter-waterproof-makeup-setting-spray-xlsImpprod15371001?sku=2503490&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=paidsearch&cagpspn=pla&CATCI=&CAAGID=&CAWELAID=330000200001063397&gclid=CjwKCAjws9ipBhB1EiwAccEi1OOOWEq0dN_Ib7O3cc7kK82CcW9TN9em5IKK-XjGq-xAVzca0HMuPxoCLegQAvD_BwE
Julie Lord

App State '24

Hi! I'm Julie and I am a senior journalism major, minoring in photography at App State. I love writing, taking pictures and hanging out with my pup, Piper!