Our Last Season: Chip and Joanna Gaines Decide to End Fixer Upper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The king and queen of HGTV, Chip and Joanna Gaines, have made the announcement that fans are so saddened by. The couple has decided to end their show Fixer Upper with a 5th and final season which will begin in November.

Many of us were first introduced to Chip and Joanna through their show Fixer Upper. I personally did not watch much HGTV until I discovered their show and would/still do binge watch the episodes to no end.

Each episode of the show is so personal to each of their clients and tells some sort of story. Not to mention, each episode is filled with Chip and Joanna’s humor and jokes.

Here are just a few classic Chip & Jo moments from the show:

I could go on…

In her Magnolia blog post, “Our last season”, Joanna said it best when addressing the reason why they are not continuing with the show:

“This has nothing to do with a fraudulent skincare line or anything else you’ll inevitably read. This is just us recognizing that we need to catch our breath for a moment. Our plan is to take this time to shore up and strengthen the spots that are weak, rest the places that are tired and give lots of love and attention to both our family and our businesses.”

It is most definitely understandable as to why the couple wants to cancel the show and we honestly should take her words as some sort of life advice such as taking a moment to catch your breath.  

Joanna assured fans that they did not hold anything back in the season finale and that it’s the perfect end to the amazing journey that they have been on through the show.

Not only are Chip and Joanna so inspiring but they are couple goals, family goals, and of course their home decorating style is goals. 

The good news is that this is not a goodbye to Chip and Joanna, but only a new chapter in life that they are beginning. They have several businesses in Waco, Texas, such as their Magnolia Market at the Silos (which I so want to visit). The couple also just announced their newest project Hearth & Hand with Magnolia which will be available at Target on November 5th (SO EXCITED)!!

You will truly be missed on the TV screen Chip and Jo.

Visit their website for shopping, blog posts, and other neat stuff they are doing!