An Open Letter to My Favorite Teacher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

To my very favorite teacher,

It’s funny how large of an impression our instructors can leave upon our lives. Sure, you taught me facts, you taught me how to study, and you taught me how to stay organized. However, you also taught me other, much more important things. You taught me to love learning. You never gave up on me, or my classmates, regardless of how frustrating we could be. You always took a deep breath and pushed forward because you knew that one day the work you did would make a difference.

Maybe you aren’t told this often enough, but without you, I wouldn’t be the woman I am today. You made me believe in myself, when I felt that I was at my lowest. You gave me confidence in more ways than one. By acknowledging my intelligence, creativity, ability, and personality, you showed me that I was really worth something even when I felt absolutely worthless. 

I guess what I’m saying is, thank you. Thank you for keeping my spirits up when I needed it the most. Thank you for spending extra time with me so that I could understand not only the material in your class, but myself better. Thank you for each late night you spent working, unpaid, not sleeping to get things done to better my educational experience. Thank you for being one of the biggest stepping stones in the path of my professional career. 

You also offered something that many others didn’t during school: genuine support and unfailing frienship. You were an open, unjudging ear. You always knew what to do or say, even when it came to problems with parents. You always seemed to know the best way to handle difficult situations, and you were eager to help students in any way you possibly could. 

Most of all, everyone could tell, you geniunely love what you do. Your passion was unfailing, and your kindred spirit was evident in your unwillingness to give up on any student, even the “problem” ones. 

Thank you for deciding to shape mine, and many others’ future. Thank you for guiding us in the right direction, being there for us when having support was crucial, and most of all, thank you for deciding to be a teacher.

Sincerely, 

Hopefully, your favorite student.

This letter is dedicated to Teri Zappala, my favorite social studies teacher who eventually became a close part of my family. I love you, thank you for everything. 

Jordan is a Freshman at Appalachian State working a degree in Communications and Public Relations. She's a member of the Theta-Nu chapter of Alpha Phi, and currently serves as the Director of Target Membership Marketing for the chapter. Jordan is an intern newsdesk reporter at The Appalachian campus paper. In her free time, she loves being lazy with the gent, Lee, and their puppies; Macey, Jack, and Ruby. Her dream job is to be a News Anchor.
Kendall is a senior at Appalachian State studying Communication Studies and Journalism.  Though she grew up in the Queen City, she is the daughter of two former Mountaineers and has always considered Boone a second home.  She has a love for dirty chai lattes, Grey's Anatomy, red lipstick, and a future in Television News.