An Open Letter to My Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

When I sat down to write this piece, I began to think of ways to spice it up and differentiate it from the thousands of other “open letters” there are out there. But then I realized it already was different. This letter is different because of who I’m writing it to. Because of our memories, our unbreakable bond, my slight obsession with her and because of the amazing person she is… SO, here it goes. 

Dear Best Friend, 

Do you realize how genuinely awesome you are? No, really?

You’re one of my favorite people on this planet. Looking back on Bid Day, I am so glad to have found you. I remember having a conversation about your nasty toenail that you had recently ripped off, and I realize that nothing has changed since then. No conversation or topic is ever off limits with us. You were the first person I met in AOII, and you’re a large part of the reason I fell in love with this organization that we share, and for that I will forever be grateful. 

And then I flash forward to the best/worst week of my life… Big/Little Week. For weeks leading up to Big/Little I bragged and whispered behind your back (lol okay maybe not even that subtly) to anyone who would listen about how much I loved you and wanted you to be my Big. And then the worst thing in the world happened. You tricked me all throughout Big/Little, and although I loved all the gifts I was getting, I was heartbroken because I thought I wouldn’t be able to call you mine. As I was getting ready for reveal, I had made up my mind to put on a happy face and deal with the cards I had been handed. But my worrying and tears were for nothing, because I soon found out you were my Big. I couldn’t believe it. How could I have been so lucky to have a Big that is as patient, loving, sassy and hilarious as you? I’m not quite sure how it worked out, but I am so thankful it did. 

There are few people that I admire the way I admire you. I treasure our relationship, and will alway treasure it. You hold me to a higher standard, and make me a better person, and I hope one day I can be as great of a Big to my Little as you are to me. Your selflessness, sincerity and warmheartedness shine. All of your strengths and weaknesses combined make you a person that I strive to be. You’re my Big and my best friend all rolled in to one. 

Thank you for always being a phone call away, even at 3 a.m. when I’m stuck outside of the APH in distress.Thanks for taking me under your wing, and showing me the ropes while I was a new member. Thank you for allowing me to drag you along to all kinds of events that I have to cover. Thanks for always, always, always being down for Hungry Howie’s at the end of a long night. Blessed for that. 

Thank you for not complaining when I force you to take pictures with me. Thanks for the never-ending laughter. Thanks for letting me eat all of your bagels and the last of your cream cheese. Thanks for allowing me to text you several times in a row without getting angry, and for understanding that I will always be needy. And, last, thank you for a thousand other things that just shouldn’t be mentioned on the Internet.

I never thought it was possible to be so close to someone in such a short period of time, but obviously I was wrong. I don’t know what adventure we’ll have to take on next (there’s always something), but I take comfort in knowing I can take it on with you by my side. I can’t wait to see what happens next. I am always so proud of you. You’re my person. 

Love ya always,

Madison