Move Over Joanna Gaines: Meet Katie Taylor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

When it comes to designing a room, not many of us have the talent, patience, or the high eye for fashion that comes along with it. Meet Katie Taylor, a woman right here on App State’s campus who possesses all of the qualities to make a room pop.

Katie loves interior design because designers have the ablility to change the way a space looks and functions. Often, people walk into a space and their mood changes, their eyes widen, and they are filled with intrigue. As designers, they are not only making a space aesthetically beautiful, but it is their responsibility to influence how people think, feel, move, and live. Choosing the fixtures, customizing millwork, and defining navigation are only the beginning. Designers are the ultimate problem solvers and that is what makes it an exciting business.

Katie’s favorite thing about interior design is the evolution of research to implementation. A lot of research is done on the space being designed, the current trends, color theory, etc. From there, designers come up with a concept that illustrates the driving force behind the project. With Katie’s whimsical style, she uses a lot of color, pattern, and unique forms in her projects. Because her class projects are hypothetical and budget-less, she can think and design outside the box. This creative freedom allows her to create a more exciting and fun environment for the end result.

While Katie’s unrealistic dream job is to design homes for celebrities like Beyoncé and Kim Kardashian, her realistic dream job is to work for an architecture and design firm that designs luxury retail stores. This job would allow her the ability to travel the world and experience design in different cultures. Currently, retail design is in an interesting era because online shopping is quickly becoming the norm. Technology has a real impact—both positive and negative—on the way consumers shop. Retail designers are trying to solve the issue of how to make shopping in a physical store more appealing to consumers. This challenge is unique. and Katie wants to be a part of this shopping trend change to create retail environments consumers will want to visit.

Besides interior design, Katie also enjoys painting, SCUBA diving, and cooking. Coming from someone who knows Katie personally, this is a girl on the rise. While she doesn’t have any particular role model, in a way she’s mine. Katie’s hard work and dedication are something worthy of praise.

Be sure to get her contact information before she hits it big!

Image Sources:

Katie’s latest project 

Katy Crisp

App State

If you enjoy tacos and really bad puns, come sit by me.