Meet Your New Roommate Goals: Leah Clayton & Emily Kerr

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Leah Clayton

Year: Senior

Major: Public Relations

Relationship Status: Single

Hometown: Concord, NC

Emily Kerr

Year: Senior

Major: Communication Studies & Advertising 

Relationship Status: Single

Hometown: Hickory, NC

This week, I had the pleasure of interviewing the dynamic duo Leah Clayton and Emily Kerr. They will give you all the roommate envy and have you wishing you could move in to their cute and cozy apartment ASAP!

Leah and Emily became friends first and roommates second; they met through being in the same all-girl stunt group on the Appalachian State cheerleading team. The BFFs had an advertising class together where they grew closer and found out they each needed roommates the following year and the rest is history!

When I asked what their favorite meal to cook together was Leah said, “Getting in the car and getting Chipotle.” Emily said her favorite was “Chicken and rice or popcorn and M&M’s.” They both said Boone Bagelry is their favorite place to get breakfast especially since it’s right beside their apartment! If you’re feeling generous send Leah a bacon egg and cheese bagel and send Emily a “Bagelicious” and home fries!

Since Leah and Emily are known for being roommate goals, I wanted to know what their typical weekend together is like.

“Fridays we usually stay in and catch up on TV shows because we both have to be up early on Saturdays for football games. Our Saturdays are filled with all things App State Football, then we’ll come home after and recap the game and all the events before getting ready to celebrate another win aka hit the bars! Sundays we sleep in a little and then I’ll drink my coffee on the couch while we watch HGTV until NFL football comes on. We always have to watch The Cowboys for me and The Panthers for Emily,”Leah said. 

When the girls aren’t watching their teams win they can be found watching Scandal and The Blacklist. 

After a crummy Monday, Emily and Leah can be found cheering each other up by eating their roommate specialty of popcorn and M&M’s (sometimes CookOut), drinking a few glasses of red wine and venting about how awful their days were together.

These girls have hearts of pure gold and the sweetest smiles on their faces constantly. When asked what the greatest thing about living together was Emily said, “It’s great having someone to laugh with and talk to, to push you outside your comfort zone, not letting me wear a cardigan to the bar, it’s almost happened, and having someone that understands what you mean even when you can’t form words. It’s just all around awesome to live with someone that is a true friend.”

Leah responded with, “We both love talking about our workouts and talking in general, but we’re also okay with a quiet night to ourselves sometimes. But really the talking, it’s hard to explain. We kind of just get each other and laugh a lot. And we have the cutest apartment, not to brag but we have great style and it’s homey while also being bright and colorful.” Leah and Emily’s favorite memory of living together was last spring when they woke up at 5:30 in the morning to catch the sunrise! So sweet, right?

If the BFF’s could live anywhere together they both agreed it would be in a stylish New York City apartment with none other than Theo James, Four from Divergent, as their third roommate. The girls said, “Have you seen him? It causes us actual physical pain to see him and know we can’t have him.” 

You can catch Leah and Emily jamming to Pandora “Twerk” radio (per Emily’s request) or Justin Bieber (per Leah’s request) with no shame around their apartment before a night out in Boone Town. Be sure to say hello to these cute roommates the next time you see them out!

Rachele is a senior at Appalachian State University earning a degree in public relations with a minor in marketing. You can find Rachele running at the Greenway, double-tapping on Insta, or dancing in her kitchen.