This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Transferring schools is already stressful enough, but imagine dropping everything you know and moving from a different country to the United States.

This was the reality for App State student, Shelton Toverud, when he moved from Norway to North Carolina.

I had the privilege of meeting Shelton this past August at band camp and, over these past few months, he’s grown to be one of my closest friends.

Shelton was born and raised in Oslo, Norway up until he was 12 years old. What was incredibly interesting about his childhood was that he was actually taught English and Norwegian at the same time. Shelton’s mom spoke nothing but English to him, while his dad spoke nothing but Norwegian.

When asked what the most difficult things about moving were, he responded: “Having to leave my friends, and make new ones. I wasn’t as nervous about moving to America though because we had family there, and we would visit every once in a while, but it was incredibly scary to leave everything I’d grown to know and love behind.”

When Shelton got to America he said that middle school was the most difficult time for him. He said he was repeatedly called an “immigrant” because he was immensely  proud of where he was from and other kids did not understand that. Children also never believed him when he told them that he was a dual citizen, and was often asked to see his green card.

Living here at first was not easy for him, yet he continued to push through the constant negativity and prove to them that he was stronger their insults and was never ashamed of his culture.

Flashing forward to present day, Shelton is an App State sophomore majoring in Commercial Photography. He gets to visit his dad in Norway over the summertime. Even though things are a lot different in America, Shelton loves the atmosphere the most in Boone. He says it reminds him of the cabin in Norway that he lived in, which overlooked a valley and mountains.

“Boone views and sunsets are unlike anything I have ever seen. This place and the people that I’ve met have filled the hole in my heart that constantly misses my home country, and remind me every day that I have a permanent home here at App State and not just in Norway.”

Hearing stories about his time in Norway is some of the most intriguing and rewarding conversations you will have with him. Shelton’s face lights up every time he talks about his time in Norway, and you can truly see the passion and love that he has for his home country and family.

Senior at Appalachian State University. Majoring in Journalism and minoring in Marketing. There's no problem a good cup of coffee can't fix, honestly. I believe in singing loudly and dancing horribly to all music, and living by the statement to always have courage and be kind.
Dianna is a graduate of the class of 2019 at Appalachian State University where she studied Public Relations, Journalism and English. At Her Campus, she served as App State's campus correspondent and editor-in-chief.