Meet Ryan Snelling: President of Appalachian Fashion Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Ryan Elizabeth Snelling

Year: Senior, Class of 2013

Major: Apparel Design and Merchandising

Hometown: Winston Salem, NC

Q: Tell us a little bit about Appalachian Fashion Group.

A: AFG was started in the Apparel Design and Merchandising major as a way for us to come together in a casual environment to look at fashion news and trends, in a fun group. Now open to students in all majors, we enjoy our monthly meetings through different activities and philanthropic efforts.

Q: How long have you been involved with this organization?

A: I’ve been a member of AFG for two and a half years and was elected to be president of the group for my senior year.

Q: What are some of your duties as President?

A: I am usually the one addressing the group during the meetings, planning with the other officers, booking speakers and just getting ready for each months meeting or activity.

Q: What sorts of events/projects does AFG participate in throughout the year?

A: Our meetings vary through the semesters and we’ve had a few great activities recently. We have had guest speakers, Appalachian State Alumni, currently working in the fashion industry, tell us about their internship experiences and jobs. We had a Pinterest themed meeting where we completed a craft project from the website and the fashion related movies are always a big hit. Who doesn’t love The Devil Wears Prada?!

Q: How has being a part of this organization changed your college experience?

A: I am so thrilled to have been able to lead AFG for my final year here at Appalachian State. Being involved in any on campus group is a great way to meet people who share your similar interests! It is also great to be able to give back to the local community through the projects that we put together.  

Q: What are some of your goals for each organization this year?

A: We are really excited to have the AFG Clothing Sale coming up later this semester. In a room in the Student Union, we will be selling clothing and accessories of all styles and sizes so be sure to stop by when the sale starts! 

Q: What would you say to a student thinking about joining 

A: I would encourage anyone who enjoys fashion and meeting new people to stop by our next meeting on February 20th and check us out. We are open to all majors and have gained some great new members already this year! 

Q: Any plans for after graduation?

A: I’m currently looking for an internship for this summer, ideally something in costume design for theatre! My fingers are crossed for a new life in NYC!

Brittany Fielding is a senior studying Apparel Design and Merchandising at Appalachian State University. She loves to write, shop, exercise, watch sports, and spend time with her friends and family. Originally from Cleveland, OH, Brittany plans on moving back to a big city after graduation to pursue a career in fashion buying/merchandising.