This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Keith Norris

Year: Senior

Major: Advertising 

Hometown: Wilmington, North Carolina

Q: What organizations and activities are you involved in at App State?A: I am currently the Business Manager for Appalachian State’s oldest and premier all-male a cappella group, Higher Ground, the Vice-President of Communications of Resident Assistant Council, a member of the AppComm Zen Club, and a second-year Resident Assistant for University Housing.

Q: What is the best part of being involved with Higher Ground?A: Higher Ground has really given me a family to call home here at App. I’ve been with these guys for nearly three years now and I have had a blast with them every time we’re together. The group is constantly changing, which can make for some interesting dynamics, but it always comes full circle and gets back to the core values of brotherhood and just having a good time and making people happy through song. I also love getting to meet different people through the shows that we host regularly, including our Valentine’s Day show on February 11 at 6:30 p.m.!

Q: For our readers who don’t know, what is the AppComm Zen Club?A: The AppComm Zen Club is a club in which we talk about communications and how it relates to our everyday lives, while also understanding how important it is to take time for yourself, be that through your daily routines or meditation. The Zen Club is a great de-stressor and helps you to focus on yourself for just a few hours every other week!

Q: Tell us your funniest story about being a Resident Assistant…A: I firmly believe that Frank Hall and my staff is cursed when it comes to popcorn. Earlier in the year, before any of the residents moved in, my staff was hanging out in our boss’s apartment, preparing to watch a movie. My boss stepped out of her apartment after she put a bag of popcorn into her microwave, all while my staff and I chatted away. We then looked over to see that the bag of popcorn was on fire and billowing smoke. Long story short, we had to evacuate the building and wait outside for an hour after the fire alarm went off. This has since happened two more times with my staff. It may not be the funniest story, but I refuse to touch microwavable popcorn again.

Q: What do you plan to do after graduation?A: I wish I knew. But really, I’m not sure yet. I have lots of tentative plans but I haven’t decided on one just yet. Going into Housing post-grade would be great, as I would love to work with a University Housing department somewhere while I attend graduate school. I have also considered moving to Charlotte to work as a social media marketing advisor for larger companies throughout Metrolina. The last thing I have been considering is opening a business with my mom in which we buy and flip houses throughout the state. That option is a bit of a stretch, but my mom and I work really well together on renovations, so that would be truly ideal!

I am a Junior at App majoring in Apparel Design and Merchandising. I love dresses, thrifting, playing soccer, reading magazines, celebrity closets, bubble baths, mom & pop restaurants, and giving relationship advice. I hate waking up early, band aids, Dr. Phil, and men with big muscles.