This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

This Campus Celeb takes care of residents in Mountaineer Hall while also keeping us in shape at the Quinn Center! Miss Katie Long is a Junior Music Therapy major that spends her time as a Resident Assistant, a Group Fitness Instructor, and a hardworking student. She is from Charleston, South Carolina but loves being in Boone!

Q: As an exercise instructor and an RA, how do you balance being a student and being so involved?

A: Time Management! I’m a student first and an RA second.  Group Fitness is not a job to me; it is a time for me to relieve any stress, forget about my day, and just have fun while getting a workout.

Q: What exercise classes do you teach at the Quinn Center?

A: I teach Total Body Sculpt and Body Rock.

Q: How do you come up with your routines and how do you find your music?

A: I don’t have a system for making my classes. I write down all of my plans each week and incorporate new powerful moves. I check health and fitness magazines as well as cool blogs to put together a fun and tough workout. I also ask my participants’ opinions because ultimately I’m there for them. As for music, I use a website called steady 130. It’s an hour of today’s top hits at a steady tempo. I would recommend it to anyone.

Q: Do you have any suggestions for people that are trying to lose weight and get in shape?

A: Make a plan and a schedule and stick to it! Appalachian has a variety of classes and activities so there is something for everybody. Also, don’t be afraid to push yourself; you are so much stronger than you think you are! Remember to take adequate time to rest and reward yourself. That is important as well.

Q: What is your favorite thing about what you do?

A: I love being around people and I get to do that as an RA, as an instructor, and in my major.

Q: How did you get your job at the Quinn Center?

A: I applied and went through a workshop and audition process, and eventually assisted another instructor. It’s a lot of fun and you learn a lot.

Q: What are your plans after you graduate?

A: After I graduate, I have six months of internship for my major. Then I plan to go back to school to get my doctorate and masters. I’ll hopefully still teach fitness classes on the side because I want to be nationally certified so that I can teach anywhere.

I am a Junior at App majoring in Apparel Design and Merchandising. I love dresses, thrifting, playing soccer, reading magazines, celebrity closets, bubble baths, mom & pop restaurants, and giving relationship advice. I hate waking up early, band aids, Dr. Phil, and men with big muscles.