Meet Katie Bially: Winner of a National Award For Her Radio Commercial

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Contributing Writer: Molly Grubbs

Name: Katie Bially    Year: SeniorMajor: Communications Electronic Media and BroadcastingHometown: Burlington, NC

Q: What is your commercial for? Where and when was it broadcasted?A: We were assigned to make a 60 second industry standard radio commercial for my Audio II class last semester and I chose to do mine for Which Wich Superior Sandwiches because I kind of had a good idea for it already. My professor thought it was good enough to be entered into the Broadcasting Educational Association’s Festival of Media Arts and he was right, I won second place in Audio Production! It’s a scenario where a man and a woman are hiking and the man is complaining about being hungry and she tells him to keep himself busy…his solution? Tongue twisters.

Q: How did you get involved with something like this?A: I have always been a fan of movies and television so I looked for a major that would allow me to learn how they were made. I am a Communications Electronic Media and Broadcasting major which has given me the opportunities and resources to creatively explore with audio, video, and scriptwriting.

Q: Tell us a little bit about the process of creating the commercial.A: First I had to take my idea and put it into a script. Once I knew what I was going to say, I started recording my voice and adding sound effects. It was all done on Adobe Audition CS6. Sound effects are tricky because you have to balance them; footsteps have to sound like they are on dirt not gravel, birds are louder than rustling tree leaves and has to blend in naturally with the river that’s rushing by. It’s really fun but really meticulous too; there is a lot to think about: story, effects, and selling a product all in 60 seconds.

Q: What was the most challenging part of the whole process? A: The hardest part was getting my voice to sound like a man. I had to do a lot of tone and pitch manipulations to try and make it sound natural. I wanted it to sound believable so that was definitely the biggest challenge.

Q: You deserve some bragging rights… How many commercials were you competing against? Who were the judges and what were they looking for?A: There were over 1300 entries into the Festival of Media Arts and the judges are made up of recognized professors and professional from all over the country. They are looking at how well you used the tools that are available to you and how creatively you used them.

Q: How did it feel to hear that you had won something this awesome?A: I freaked out! I called my parents right away and they were just as excited as me. I slowly told people about it as the day went on because I kept thinking it wasn’t real. Like they were going to call me up and say sorry, wrong Katie!

Q: So the prize is a trip to Vegas! What are the top three things you want to do when you are there?A: The prize is a certificate of recognition and the opportunity to meet industry professionals – it’s just an added perk that the awards ceremony and festival is in Vegas! I’ve never been West so just going there is pretty awesome! I would love to see a show like Cirque De Sole or something, and definitely check out the unique restaurants, I heard there is place called Minus5 where its negative 5 degrees and you drink out of ice cups. Honestly, I am just really excited to get my name out there and meet people who are in the industry!

Q: Is this a reflection of your future plans? What would you like to do after you graduate?A: It’s definitely a possibility. Though my heart is set on film or television production and writing, I am open to the many opportunities that the media world has to offer. I am not going to limit myself to a certain path but I am also not trying to lose sight of my dreams. All the doors are open at this point, I just have to start exploring what’s through them!

Senior Marketing and Management major at App State.