burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet Jordan Dollard: Event Planner and Personal Shopper for J. Crew

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Jordan Dollard
Year: (Super) Senior
Major: Apparel Design and Merchandising with a minor in Marketing
Hometown: Charlotte

Q: How did you first get involved with J. Crew?

A: I applied in Charlotte after realizing I had no fashion experience on my resume. I worked at the J. Crew at Southpark Mall in Charlotte during the summers and holidays, and the Blowing Rock outlet during the school year.

Q: How did you gain your current position as personal shopper and event planner?

A: The manager came to me and asked if I would be interested; then I trained more intensely at the J. Crew in Charlotte.

Q: What experience do you have that qualifies you for this position?

A: I have been working at J. Crew for 3 years, so I have been through all of the training. That, along with all my classes and fashion internships in Charlotte and New York City have really helped me become even better at my job. I have learned all about offering services as well as the art and design behind it.

Q: What are some of your duties?

A: I plan the shop and share events at J. Crew for large groups. It’s all shopping, snacks, and stylists as well as great discounts! As a personal shopper I can order specific items for customers, ships things to them, and offer one-on-one appointments.

Q: What is the hardest part of being a personal shopper?

A: It’s difficult getting people interested in the personal shopping because it’s a new addition to the store, but it’s totally free so hopefully more people will start to take advantage of it! 

Q: What is your favorite part of the job?

A: My favorite part is the people that I work with. My coworkers are so fun and I have a blast talking and hanging out with them. I also love helping people disover their personal style and find clothes that work for them and make them feel stylish and confident. 

Q: As an apparel and merchandising major, do you plan to open up your own boutique one day?

A: I’ve never had the need to be my own boss; I would love to work for a larger company. In the future, I want to be in sales or design and I currently love all the work I’ve been doing in the sales aspect of fashion.

Q: Any plans for after graduation?

A: I just accepted a job in Charlotte as an accessories brand representative. I will be traveling to New York City and other major cities such as Portland, and Houston to meet with clients and work with buyers on brand and product development. I get to do a little bit of all the things I love to do!