Meet Jessica Hapney: Co Owner of Darci & Co. Boutique

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Jessica Hapney

Hometown: Hickory, NC

Major: Apparel Design and Merchandising

Minor: Marketing

Year: Junior

Life Motto: “She designed a life she loved.”

Q: When did you first decide you wanted to open a boutique?

A: Fashion has always been something my mother and I have loved and then the idea of a “mother-daughter” boutique became a reality! We started online more for fun than anything and God opened the doors to different opportunities, one of those being able to move into a space of our own in June of 2014. Though we love fashion and making women feel as beautiful as they should, we also hope to make a positive impact on the local and global community by supporting many organizations through our store. It is such an amazing opportunity to work with my mother, who I consider to be the most brilliant business-woman I know. “Darci&Co. is a boutique born from love of fashion and each other.”

Q:What is the hardest part about being a co-owner of a store while juggling school and a social life?

A:Time management. Learning to juggle being apart of what college students refer to as the “grown-up” world while still enjoying leisure time with friends and keeping up with schoolwork. I am not going to lie, it is hard to keep all three balanced, but I enjoy them all so much that I wouldn’t change any of it!

Q:You recently transferred from Western Carolina. What made you decide you wanted to come to Appalachian?

A: The decision to transfer was one of the hardest, if not the hardest, I have ever had to make. I was very involved at WCU and loved that aspect, but the University did not have the program of study I wanted to pursue to achieve my career goals. So, this time last year I made the choice to chase after those career goals, which have been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember.

Q: What do you like most about Appalachian so far?

A: Where do I start? The Apparel Design and Merchandising program here at Appalachian is exactly what I was looking for. Not only that, but I love being involved in the Greek Life community and being apart of other clubs and organizations such as Streets Ahead accapella group. Boone has always been a place I have loved since I was little and the town has only gotten better! I am so proud to be a Mountaineer.

Q: How did you hear about becoming a Rho Gamma for formal sorority recruitment?

A: Since I am an Alpha Xi Delta from WCU, I knew how formal recruitment worked and the Rho Gamma role in recruitment. Unfortunately, I knew ASU did not have an Alpha Xi Delta so I was determined to find a way to stay involved. It was excruciatingly hard to leave my sisters and I wanted to help other girls find that sisterhood that I had. So, from there I continued to contact members of PHC here at Appalachian and told them my story. I was blessed enough to receive an interview and I was offered the position. Recruitment was one of my best experiences and I am so glad I was able to work with such an incredible Greek Community!

Q: What was your favorite part about being a Rho Gamma?:

A: It hard to just choose one favorite aspect but I can list a few! First of all, the potential new members were amazing and I loved getting to know each of them personally and help find their homes while continuing to maintain friendships with them post-recruitment. All of the Rho Gammas were hard working and dedicated women who I was beyond privileged to work with. I do have to give a shout out to my Rho group because I can honestly say I had the best partners around! We worked so well together and became friends through the process. Overall, it was a fantastic experience!

Q: Aside from co-owning your boutique, what do you like to do in your free time?:

A: In my free time, I love to travel! I just hop in my car and go anywhere and everywhere. I also enjoy crafting, designing, reading, singing, performing, writing and being with my friends and family just hanging out. I am always up for an adventure so I always find myself doing new things!