Meet James Robinson, Appalachian Football Player #96

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

App State Collegiettes might recognize our newest Campus Celeb, James Robinson, as number 96 on our Mountaineer football team. This freshman from Blythewood, S.C., made a huge impression on all Mountaineer fans (and the poor Savannah State QB) during his first home game. Keep an eye out for him, ladies (and gents)!

Name: James Robinson
Year:  Freshman
Major: Athletic Training
Hometown: Blythewood, S.C.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Appalachian State?
A: Other than Saturdays in the fall, my favorite thing is the location. I love the mountains and all the different site-seeing places here.

Q: Did you always know that football was something you wanted to pursue in college?
A: Yes, I knew it was since I was in 6th grade. I always knew I wanted to play sports, but it really didn’t click that I wanted to play football in college until 8th or 9th grade.

Q: What is it like being a part of the Mountaineer football legacy?
A: It’s great. I couldn’t ask for anything better. I love that our program is known for winning three straight National Championships and I’m proud, but at the same time, I want to win just as many championships so our class can be known for accomplishing it and can be talked about forever.

Q: What’s it like trying to balance football and your studies?
A: At first, it was harder for me because high school sports and classes do not compare. But now, I think I have the hang of things and it’s becoming a lot easier.

Q: Are there any athletes that inspire you?
A: Ray Lewis. He plays for the Baltimore Ravens. I admire his intense spirit that he brings to each game and his willingness to never quit or lose.

[pagebreak]

Q: What’s your best football-related memory?
A: I have two. The first one was when I stepped on the field for my first college game against Virginia Tech. It was amazing to hear 70,000 people cheering and on my first play, I got my first career tackle. My second memory was our home game against Savannah State because it was my first college start. I was really nervous, but I got my first and second career sacks that game—on the second one, I put their QB out for the game. It was amazing.

Q: Do you have any unique hobbies or talents that people don’t know about?
A: I like to watch Disney Channel during my free time. I fall asleep and wake up to Disney channel every day. I know it’s weird, but I enjoy doing it.

Q: What are your plans after college?
A: I want to play in the NFL after college. That has always been my dream, but if that doesn’t work, I would like to be either a coach or a physical trainer.

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!