Meet Gary Pietryk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Contributing Writer: Katy Huis

Name: Gary Pietryk

Major: Appropriate Technologies

Hometown: Midlothian, Virginia

Title: DJ Hightops

Q: How did you choose your DJ name?

A: When I used to DJ House Parties before I started getting more serious, I used to wear high top shoes. People started calling me DJ High Tops because of that and it just stuck.

Q: How would you describe your DJing Style?

A: My favorite type of music to play is Trap and Base because it’s extremely hype, but personally I like artists like Gramatik and Griz because they have a groovy feel. But when it comes down to it you really have to read the crowd and play to the crowd. It’s not the same at any event.

Q: How did you first get involved with music, in particular DJing?

A: I played the saxophone since fourth grade and grew up with instruments in my house. I can play the piano, drums, guitar, saxophone and even recorder. I started DJing the spring semester of my sophomore year of college because I got tired of people constantly changing songs and picking bad music at parties, so I just took over.

Q: Who are some of your biggest influences?

A: Showtek, Hardwell, Carnage, Slander, Lookas. The energy they create with their music inspires me.

Q: What type of events do you usually DJ for?

A: I usually DJ at bars, house parties, clubs back in Richmond, fraternity and sorority events such as formals.

Q: What are some of your favorite venues and why?

A: I like house parties the most because that’s where people really get wild and it ups the entire experience.

Q: Do you plan to pursue a career in this field?

A: I’ve started producing recently, and if that takes me somewhere then I’ll definitely follow it. I’m going to graduate and then see where I stand at that point. 

Senior Marketing and Management major at App State.