This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Faith MoreyMajor: SociologyYear: JuniorHometown: the Charlotte area, NCCeleb Status: Baptist Campus Ministry (BCM) Discipleship Team Leader, Sexuality and Gender Alliance (SAGA) Vice President of Education

Q: Why did you become interested in being a part of both of these groups on campus?A: Coming to college, I automatically wanted to get plugged into a faith-based community. My faith is very important to me and BCM has helped develop my faith on a deeper level. I am from a small town where church is greatly discussed but “hands off” topics, such as the LGBT community, are not. I wanted to be more educated on the topics that surrounded this community so I could educate those around me. One thing I saw in both communities was that neither really talked about the other. I would love to see that change and have begun to bridge the gap between faith and sexuality. Faith and sexuality are huge parts of life and a dialogue should be encouraged to talk about them. BCM and the LGBT community have become a part of my family and I have been involved ever since.

Q: What are some exciting things these organizations are doing this semester?A: Last semester BCM and SAGA partnered together to make care packages for the local homeless population. This semester we are hoping to partner again for another service project to benefit our community. 

Q: Are you involved with anything else on campus?A: I work in the Club Hub in the Student Union!

Q: What are some things you like doing outside of the classroom?A: I love to read! I have so many books at my apartment I have not even read yet. My family and friends are so special to me, so I enjoy spending time with them. There is never a dull moment when we are together. I also enjoy dancing for fun and singing in the shower!

Q: What is your favorite thing about Appalachian State?A: I love that App is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains. I have never seen a more beautiful campus, and when it snows and the mountaintops around us are frosted with white, it just makes me so thankful to be in such a beautiful place.

Q: What are your plans after you graduate?A: I am still praying about participating in the World Race. It is a journey of going to 11 countries in 11 months to do mission work in each country. I am also in the process of being doula certified so I can help women through one of the most intimate and life-changing moments of their life: giving birth. My ultimate goal is to be doing mission work in Africa with women and children, delivering babies and doing basic health education.

Alli Cook

App State

Appalachian State UniversitySeniorPublic Relations and Marketing