Meet Dean of Students J.J. Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Our campus is so lucky to have such great people leading us! One of those people is Dean of Students J.J. Brown. J.J. is known for being a friendly face around Appalachian and for always being there for his students. 

College: The University of Tennessee, KnoxvilleDegree: BA in Speech Communication and MS in College Student Personnel

Q: How long have you worked at App?A: I started working at Appalachian during the summer of 2010, so just over four years. 

Q: What’s your favorite part about your job?A: I enjoy getting to meet so many students through a variety of situations. I particularly enjoy seeing students overcome some of their struggles while in school and go on to graduation.

Q: What’s the most difficult part about being the dean of students?A: The hardest part for me is to see some of the challenges some individuals face while going to school. It might be a health challenge, struggles with depression, family dynamics, or just trying to juggle many, many responsibilities. Some of these stories are heartbreaking, but I am honored to serve in this capacity to help others.

Q: What three words best describe your job?A: Advocate, Listener and Compassion

Q: What do you love most about living in Boone and getting to raise your family here?A: My family and I love living here and enjoy the many outdoor activities available here. We particularly enjoy the local restaurants and businesses and interacting with students working at any of these establishments.

Q: When you’re not working, what are you usually doing?A: When I am not at work, I am usually hanging out with my partner and our two boys, Tucker (12), and Cooper (9) at the soccer field, on a hike, fly-fishing or on an adventure somewhere.

Q: Do you have any hidden talents?A: I am not sure this is a talent, but I love photography. All of the images on the walls of our house are from pictures I have taken over the years. I love to take pictures of landscapes, nature and my family. I also one day hope to learn to play the guitar, which is on my list of things to learn. 

Joan is a senior, PR major at Appalachian State! She is originally from the QC but loves calling Boone home. Some of her favorite days in Boone are game days. She loves talking, trying new foods and spending time with friends. 
I am a 2015 graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in communication, journalism. Upon graduation, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work for my college sorority, AOII. I am currently the Assistant Director of Communications of AOII and Editor of our internationally-circulated magazine, To Dragma. I'm a fitness enthusiast through and through. I love weightlifting, running and boxing, and I am always up for a new workout! I am also a coffee addict with a killer sweet tooth. When I'm not at work or at the gym, you can find me scoping out the latest and greatest coffee and donut spots in Nashville.  I've been part of the Her Campus team since 2012, when I joined App State's team of writers. I was the CC of my chapter my senior year, as well as a Chapter Advisor. I have remained a CA since graduating, and I love having the opportunity to stay connected to Her Campus in this role!