Meet Darren Ma, Owner of Wrap-N-Roll Food Truck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If you haven’t tried the food from the Wrap-N-Roll food truck yet, you should definitely plan a trip there before you head home for summer!  With prices ranging from $4 to $6, this food is totally economical, especially for all of us college kids on a budget.  Don’t let those prices fool you though; the food is high quality and made with locally grown ingredients, not to mention it is super, super delicious. (I highly recommend the banana-nutella crepes!)  Find Wrap-N-Roll on Howard Street, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.!

Q:  What is your connection to this area?

A:  I was a student at ASU.  I graduated in 2011 and since then, I’ve made a few connections/friendships with locals to the area.

Q:  What inspired you to start up your own food truck? 

A:  I love Boone and I was looking for opportunities to make it possible to make a living here to stay in Boone after I’d graduated. The opportunity presented itself to me.

Q:  Why did you think Boone is a good place for a business such as your own? 

A:  At the time that I thought of it, there were no food trucks in Boone so I figured there was no competition and there was a market for a food truck.  In addition, I had a few friends here who happen to be great cooks who were encouraging and supportive.  They were willing to contribute their cooking expertise to opening Wrap-N-Roll. 

Q:  What are some of the most popular items on your menu? 

A:  People seem to love the Korean Beef Bulgogi on Pita, the Pork Belly Wrap and the Vegetarian Wrap.

[pagebreak]

Q:  What has the response been like from people in our community, namely ASU students? 

A:  I feel like the students are loving it.  It’s quick, it’s local, it’s different.  I’ve had curious responses and surprised responses.

Q:  Do you have any other plans for future business endeavors? 

A:  Maybe a restaurant in the distant future.  We’re currently regularly on Howard St. across from Espresso News.  We may try to add more regular locations other than Howard St.

Q:  What else makes your business unique? 

A:  Wrap-N-Roll is totally convenient for students and people who are in a rush or on the go and just want something quick.  I’m pretty sure we’re the only food truck in downtown Boone.  Our menu is pretty unique.  We try to get as many items as we can locally.  Also, the manner in which customers get all their food in a wrap whether it is a vegetarian pita wrap or a strawberry-banana-nutella crepe is unique.  We are also creative in formulating our menu items.

I am a 2015 graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in communication, journalism. Upon graduation, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work for my college sorority, AOII. I am currently the Assistant Director of Communications of AOII and Editor of our internationally-circulated magazine, To Dragma. I'm a fitness enthusiast through and through. I love weightlifting, running and boxing, and I am always up for a new workout! I am also a coffee addict with a killer sweet tooth. When I'm not at work or at the gym, you can find me scoping out the latest and greatest coffee and donut spots in Nashville.  I've been part of the Her Campus team since 2012, when I joined App State's team of writers. I was the CC of my chapter my senior year, as well as a Chapter Advisor. I have remained a CA since graduating, and I love having the opportunity to stay connected to Her Campus in this role!