Meet Danielle Campoli, Representative for Headbands of Hope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Name: Danielle Campoli
Hometown: Cornelius, NC
Year: Senior
Major: Advertising

Q: So, tell me about Headbands of Hope.
A: Headbands of Hope is a philanthropic company that supports childhood cancer. For every headband sold, one is given to a girl fighting cancer and $1 is donated to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation to fund childhood cancer research. Funding for childhood cancer is low so progress is slow, therefore we must provide more funding for research.

Q: What’s your first memory of hearing about Headbands of Hope?
A: I remember seeing things all over Facebook. I looked into it and found out about the amazing organization, then found out that it was started by a girl from my elementary school. She is a junior at State and I thought it was remarkable that someone so young is making such a big difference.

Q: What made you want to get involved?
A: I have always imagined how hard it would be to lose my hair as a girl so I started donating my hair to Locks of Love when I was in high school. My hair only grows so fast, so Headbands of Hope is another way I can help little girls that have lost their hair gain back a small piece of confidence.

Q: Do you have a personal connection to cancer or with the organization?
A: Like the majority of people, my life has been touched (way too often) by cancer. This includes family members and a close friend I have known since the third grade.

Q: Would you consider nonprofits one of your passions?
A: I am a Chi Omega and a large part of my time with Chi O was spent working with Make-A-Wish. I have been able to help raise money to grant children’s wishes. I have even been a part of granting some wishes! Nonprofits are definitely rewarding!

Q: Can you explain the process of how Headbands of Hope are made?
A: There are many different styles of headbands available! They are made at My Sunshine Shoppe in Bismarck, ND. Headbands of hope is proud to say they are made in the USA! ?

Q: What do you wish other people knew about the nonprofit?
A: I joined the other App State campus rep, Amanda, to spread the word about how great this organization is. Girls can have a stylish accessory while making a difference and giving little girls hope!

Q: Have you ever gotten to personally deliver a headband?
A: Not yet, but I see the pictures of Jessica (the founder) handing them out and it looks like a life changing experience. Hopefully I will get to be a part of that one day!

Q: What is your favorite thing about being a part of this organization?
A: I like seeing others get excited when I tell them about Headbands of Hope. The most memorable so far was when my friends daughter, Riley, who is 3, told her mother that she had to hold the headband while she slept so she could keep helping “those sick girls”.

Q: If you could sum up Headbands of Hope in one sentence, what would it be?
A: Making a difference in a child’s life is as easy as buying a headband!

Q: How would someone go about getting involved with Headbands of Hope?
A: Visit the website to purchase headbands and find other ways to get involved.

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to add?
A: Like us on FB “Headbands of Hope” and “Headbands of Hope App State”
Visit www.headbandsofhope.org and use promo code hopedanielle to get $1 off at check out. Or contact me to purchase on campus and for other questions.

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!