Meet App’s Starting QB, Jamal Jackson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s that time of year again, Collegiettes… football season! With our home opener tomorrow night, our newest Campus Celeb is none other than our starting quarterback, Jamal Jackson. Keep an eye out for #12 and make sure you’re there to cheer on our Mountaineers tomorrow at 6:30 against Montana!

Name: Jamal Londry-Jackson
Year: Junior
Major: Advertising, Recreation Management (minor)
Hometown: Atlanta, GA

Q: What’s your favorite thing about Appalachian State?
A: I love the atmosphere at App. I hail from Atlanta and was looking for a change of scenery and I fell in love with Boone.

Q: Did you always know that football was something you wanted to pursue in college?
A: Yes, I have been around football all my life. I have family members that were fortunate enough to play professionally and I have been in love ever since I was little.

Q: What’s it like being a part of the Mountaineer football legacy?
A: Being a part of the Mountaineer legacy means a lot. We have had a lot of players that have done great things and I’m trying to mold myself after them.

Q: What’s it like trying to balance sports and academics?
A: I’ve been involved with athletics all my life so I have to be good at balancing it all out. Time management and dedication help me succeed in both areas.

Q: Are there any athletes that inspire you?
A: There are a lot of athletes that I watch for inspiration. Tom Brady, LeBron James, Michael Vick, just to name a few. They all have great stories in life.

Q: What’s your best football-related memory?
A: Scoring my first ever touchdown when I played Pee Wee football. I will never forget that moment. I was playing defensive line too. We all start somewhere…

Q: Do you have any unique hobbies or talents that people don’t know about?
A: I love playing basketball, but I had to lay off due to my priorities with football. I’ve also begun to read for leisure. There is a lot of information in the world and reading has definitely provided a lot of different life aspects for me.

Q: What are your plans after college?
A: If I’m blessed enough to continue playing football at the next level, I will. I also want to build a recreation center back in Atlanta once I am financially able. As well as running my own advertising agency.

Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!