This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Being a broke college student is tough, but you don’t have to be the first part of that statement forever. I may not be an Economics Major, but I did read “Confessions of a Shopaholic” as a kid, so the fear of credit card debt will forever be instilled upon me and my bank account. So, here are some tips for the fish who might see their funds slipping away faster than they would like.

Save, Save, Save

It might seem obvious, but in reality, it actually can be a lot more challenging for some college students. Try to refrain from constantly switching funds over from your Savings Account to your Checking. If the temptation to spend is too great and you have the funds to do so, open a Roth IRA account! It’s for your retirement, you are encouraged not to touch the money, and the interest grows tax-free!

You Better Work

App State has an incredible amount of resources when it comes to job hunting. The Career Development and Career Exploration Offices are fantastic places to start. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a Handshake and LinkedIn account as an incoming freshman, or even as a graduating senior (if you’re graduating and you don’t have either, what are you doing?). Handshake alone sends out weekly email updates on available part-time, full-time jobs, and internships that are both in and out of state. On-campus jobs especially find ways to work with your class schedule, and with all of these combined resources, I’m sure you’ll find the right job that works for you!

Keep Track of Where It’s At

Budgeting is something most students would like to avoid, but it should be a necessary part of your making bank schemes. Keeping track of receipts, purchases, paychecks, and deposits is vital to your monetary health, and it shouldn’t feel like a chore either. Keep a bullet journal, make charts, or put reminders on your phone’s calendar to keep yourself up to date and on track.

If all else fails, just stick to spending what you carry in your wallet, or to a daily limit set by a trusted individual in your life. Taking care of your money shouldn’t be scary, but it is important, and taking steps to save it is always something to be proud of.

Caroline is a senior English major at Appalachian State University concentrating in Film Studies with a minor in Theatre Arts. After she graduates in the spring of 2021, Caroline hopes to either work abroad teaching English as a second language, in the American school system or artistically to pursue creative writing. Caroline has been a member of HerCampus App State since 2019. Along with being its 2020 - 2021 Campus Correspondent, she has also held the positions of Senior Editor, Social Media Director, and was a part of the Campus Trendsetter Program.
Senior at Appalachian State University. Majoring in Journalism and minoring in Marketing. There's no problem a good cup of coffee can't fix, honestly. I believe in singing loudly and dancing horribly to all music, and living by the statement to always have courage and be kind.