Living like a Christian in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

So I have gotten a lot of beef lately about “not acting like a college student” from people I know and I am really tired of it. These days it is so hard to be religious because everyone seems to be partying it up, drinking, cussing and doing dope. The reality of it is that if you do hold to your religious practices, you are likely to end up in the out crowd.

I am a Christian, a Southern Baptist if you want to get right down to it, and my number one priority in life is to do what God has laid down for us to do. If you are not religious, that is perfectly fine, I am not trying to shove my beliefs down your throat. However, I am sick and tired of people acting like I am less than them because of how I choose to live my life. Confused? Let me explain.

I am the girl that is always on the phone with her parents.

In high school, everyone always made fun of the girl that has to consult with her parents before making any decisions. I was and still am that person. I ask my mother about everything. I ask her if I can stay up late. I ask her if I can go to football games. I even ask her what she thinks about me joining a club before I do it. People have always made fun of me, and I want to say that whether you are a Christian or not, it is still perfectly fine for you to consult your parents whenever and however you want to.

I am also the girl that has never drank, done drugs, or even picked up a cigarette

My policy is that I am 18, so I can’t drink, 99% of drugs are illegal (unless you go to Colorado), and cigarettes just give you cancer. In this area I try to “keep the body a temple” and “don’t get drunk” both of which Jesus told us to do in the bible. Again, I do not look down on people who do these things, and I am not trying to force you to believe what I believe, but I would never do these things, if for no other reason that for the most part they are illegal. I don’t see why we as a college gravitate to the people who are out boozing it up at 18 every night until three in the morning and hating on the people like me who couldn’t tell what beer is or what weed smells like.

I am the girl who has never had sex and is waiting until marriage

Again, I am not saying that there is anything bad about people who have sex before marriage, but I am one of the people who believe that sex is something that should not be had for the heck of it. I hear so many people talk about how they had sex at what ever age (14, 15, 16, etc…) and that they wished that they had waited, but the college student bodies seem to consider not being a virgin as a positive thing and again those of us who have not had sex are seen as younger and naïve, and maybe I am naive, but I am perfectly happy with keeping to my beliefs.

Anyone else who is struggling to keep to your beliefs or maybe has fallen off the wagon, know that you are not the only one and there are others just like you struggling to do what they believe to be right. We are not the majority, but we always knew that we wouldn’t be.

Sydney Sharpstene is a freshman at App State. She is a Secondary English Education Major and plans to be a high school english teacher when she graduates. Sydney is from Greensboro NC and likes to swim, slack line and sing in her free time.