A Letter To My Sister On Her 15th Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Sis-ter: n. 1. A best friend for life. 2. Player of dress up. 3. Teller of stories. 4. Keeper of secrets.

I was only 6 when you were born, so I don’t really have much memory of what life was like before you. A lot of playing outside by myself, that’s all I can remember. For some reason I didn’t fully realize until a few years ago just how special it is to have a sister and what it means. Having a sister is having a best friend, no matter how far apart we may be. No one knows me better, understands me more, laughs at my jokes more, or inspires me more than you do. 

I seriously cannot believe you are 15 already. In my head I think you’ll always be a little 12 year old running around in your cowboy boots, getting on my last nerve trying to copy everything I do and be by my side every single second. But those days are long gone; you’ve grown up into your own little person with your own ideas and opinions and I wish you could understand how unbelievably proud I am of who you’re turning into. You’re honestly the coolest kid I know (in the most unbiased way possible). I mean, what other 15 year old is as proud as you are to be on the drum line in the marching band, is into stuff like making pottery and can compose music like you can? I sure don’t know anyone else like that. You are nothing less than a force to be reckoned with, and that’s so awesome.

My absolute favorite thing about you is how you are so unapologetically yourself. I think that is one of the best qualities a girl can have, so don’t ever lose that. I was so different at your age, unsure about who I was and everything else in life. But you’ve always been so confident and sure of who you are even at such a young age, and I admire that endlessly. You have a light in you that attracts people and you really are a little social butterfly, also the opposite of me. I’d never admit to this in person, but I’ve always been secretly jealous of how popular you are at school and how many friends you have. You seem to have this sense of leadership about you that other people are drawn to and I can’t wait to see how you use that later in life. I also really enjoy your stories about the mean girls at school and how you don’t even let them get to you because you’re better than that and how you handle those situations so gracefully. (Oh what I would give to have had you as the big sister when I was your age) 

Now that you’re in high school, I’m excited but also terrified to see what kind of young woman you turn into and what you decide to do with your life. Mama and Daddy tell me all the time that you’ve got a new “boyfriend” (don’t even get me started on that, that’s another article altogether), but just know that no boy will ever, EVER, no matter how nice or sweet he is, be good enough for you in my eyes. And just like you were the first one to ask me “you want me to kill him?” when I got my heart broken, I promise I will be right by your side asking the same thing when that time comes for you. The same goes for your other friends at school; they will always come and go, but I can promise you that I will always be there anytime day or night, whenever you need me. That’s what having a sister means: someone to come crying to when you screwed up and you don’t want our parents to be mad. Also, you got to learn from all of my mistakes over the years and don’t have to learn things the hard way like I did, so hopefully you’ve been taking notes. I’m so excited to see where you go from here. You’re about to experience some of the best years of your life, and I can’t wait to help you make the best of them.  

I feel like I could never properly put into words what having you in my life really means to me. As you’ve grown up we’ve gotten a lot closer, and nothing makes me happier than knowing that will only continue and that I will always have a forever best friend in you. Even though I’m the older one, you’ve taught me so much in your short life, and you never fail to surprise me with how wise beyond your years you are. Your love for life is infectious, and my love for you is endless.

Always remember to say your prayers at night, walk with your head high, and don’t ever let boys be mean to you. Stay awesome, little Jamie.

“Have some fire. Be Unstoppable. Be a force of nature.” – Cristina Yang