This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Sometimes I hear a song and it reminds me of you, of the road trips we’ve taken together, concerts we’ve attended, singing at the top of our lungs in the car. I am the person smiling dumbly to myself on the metro as I listen to these songs and I can’t help but tear up a little as those memories tug on my heart.

First of all, I would like to thank you for being there for me even when I’m 4,000 miles away. Thank you for listening to my stories about places only I’ve been to, and people you have never met.

Thank you for the countless reminders of our friendship. I can’t explain how much the simplest text message means to me.

Thank you for keeping me connected to life at home. I’m so glad things haven’t changed between us.

Sometimes I see something that reminds me of a joke we shared, and I laugh to myself as everyone else stares at me like I’m crazy. Sometimes I find myself telling stories of things we have done together, only to realize that no one will understand the humor or the excitement.

Being abroad this semester has made me value our friendship even more. It has made me realize how lucky I am to have friends like you. I am lucky to have friends that are always there, even when we haven’t spoken in two weeks.

I want you to know that no matter how many places I travel to, and how many amazing people I meet, no one will replace you. And although I wasn’t physically with you, I’m glad I didn’t have to do this semester without you.

Thank you for keeping me grounded. Thank you for encouraging me and supporting me.

And most importantly, thank you for giving me the best thing to look forward to when I return home. Here’s to the memories we have shared, and the memories to come. Here’s to my best friends. I can’t wait to see you soon!