A Letter of Appreciation to my Mentor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

It’s funny just how much one person can inspire and help you when you didn’t even know that you needed their inspiration and help. Coming into college, I didn’t know much about the Student Support Services program other than that it was for first generation college students, and I was in it. Coming out of the other end of my freshman year, I don’t know what I would have done without the support and guidance of my SSS Advisor.

To My Advisor,

You probably don’t know how much I appreciate all that you do to help me succeed in college. You are not just my advisor; you are a mentor, going above and beyond the job description to help us. I will never forget my first day in your class, when you took time out of your busy schedule and helped me to get out of my horrible roommate situation. How you took an interest in my well being and asked me to keep you updated on the situation because you actually cared about me the person, and not just how I was an asset to the program.

I will always be grateful that you don’t shoot down my class plans like so many other advisors would because what I do is “not how the guide recommends”. You believe in my ability to take the tougher classes and out of everyone I know, you are one of three people outside of my family who hasn’t tried to dissuade me from being a teacher.

I don’t know if you will ever see this, but if you do, I hope you know how much I appreciate the effort and love you put into helping us as people and not numbers. Your guidance has made a real difference in my life and I think about how much you have helped me every day.

Sincerely,

An Appreciative Advisee

This letter is dedicated to Christine Dave, who has made such a difference in my life and taught me so much more than just classwork.

Picture Source:

Sydney Sharpstene is a freshman at App State. She is a Secondary English Education Major and plans to be a high school english teacher when she graduates. Sydney is from Greensboro NC and likes to swim, slack line and sing in her free time.