A Letter About Love: The Double Edged Sword

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Dear Ladies,

First and foremost, yes, this is a guy talking about love. Please don’t think that all guys are heartless a**holes. Of course, there are black sheep in the population, but that goes for men and women alike. Also, never forget that heartbreak happens on both ends. Life is not always what you see in the Rom-Coms.

Love is a double-edged sword.

What does that mean? Idiomatically speaking, “A benefit that is also a liability, or that carries some significant but non-obvious cost or risk.” It means that love is much more powerful than we will ever know. It means that whenever you allow somebody to love you, you give that person a part of yourself, and vice versa. It means that a large portion of you will be vulnerable. It means that the good times will feel like the best times of your life and the bad, the absolute worst. It means that your heart will feel so full while it happens, and will be entirely crushed when it ends.

Love indeed is a double-edged sword. One moment, it feels as if you’re sitting on top of the world looking down. Everything is perfect. The sun is shining, the birds are chirping, and the horizon seems endless, just like the love you have for that special someone. And then it ends. Rapidly, suddenly, shockingly. You’re left defeated, crushed, with the strong side of the sword jabbing into your heart. Never forget that love is an investment of yourself in another, except there are no returns on your investment if it fails… you lose it entirely. “Two sides of the same blade are sharp, it cuts both ways.”

Now that’s not to say that all love fails, because not all love does. When love is successful, it is far more beautiful than anything found in nature. It is pure, mutual, kind, respectful, understanding, and most importantly, unconditional. It makes one feel as if nothing else matters. It’s you and the most important person to you against the world. Talk about a phenomenon of pure bliss.

However, this pure bliss is what is so frightening about love itself. The thought of losing that significant other, the thought of doing life without them, and the thought of them not being there when you need them… it scares me. It scares the living hell out of me. Emotionally investing yourself in another is the scariest thing in this world. Not spiders, not snakes, and not even the leftovers at Central, but allowing yourself to love and be loved. Tread carefully, ladies.

Sincerely,

Your tenderhearted Mountaineer Mystery Man

Sources:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/double-edged_sword