Learning to Love My Own Company

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

If you’re anything like me, social time is a big part of your daily routine. You are always making plans with someone to get lunch, go to the library, or watch the latest episode of your favorite TV series. It’s hard to go one hour without talking to someone.

Spending time with friends, catching up over coffee, and going out together are some of the things I enjoy doing most, but sometimes my best friends aren’t always around. In fact, I haven’t seen my best friends in months since I’ve been abroad. When I came to Milan, I didn’t have anyone and I was worried about making friends and meeting people. I didn’t want to have to do anything alone.

I have made a lot of friends. I’ve actually met some of the most wonderful and inspirational people, and I’m excited that I’ll have these friendships for the rest of my life. Even so, we all have different agendas for our semesters abroad. We each have different interests and different goals that we want to accomplish in our time here.

I’ve learned that this is okay. Actually, this is perfect. I’ve learned to love spending time with myself, in my own company. When no one is around here, I have made myself go out and do something because I don’t want to spend my time abroad sitting in my room for fear of what I will look like going out alone.

I’m not necessarily doing anything exciting. I usually go out to do some window shopping, get my favorite gelato, or just walk in the park.

Before I came to Milan, if my friends weren’t around I felt like I was missing out on something and I wouldn’t go out and do anything by myself. Sometimes I even felt self-conscious if I went out on my own. If I woke up on a Saturday with no plans I would feel lonely and think that I was wasting a day because I didn’t have anything to do, nothing on my agenda. But now, I am excited to wake up on a Saturday with nothing to do, no plans, and have the day to myself. Instead of wondering “what am I going to do all day?” I wonder “what do I want to do today?”

Now, I honestly love spending time by myself, in my own company. I find it relaxing, almost soothing, to just do something alone. I’ve learned to appreciate myself, the place that I’m living in, and the things that I’m doing. It’s a reflection time for me and a time to slow down.