This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Combine thickness, curls, frizz, and somewhat of a wire-y texture, and you would have my hair.  I’ve had unmanageable tresses for as long as I can remember. I knew this when I was 5, when my mom had to cut out a brush that had gotten too tangled in my rat’s nest of a mane. Even in high school, I didn’t know what to do with it besides wash it and throw it up into a bun or ponytail on days when the hair tie didn’t break.

Fast Forward to college. Freshman year my hair looked more like the popular girls I had always admired. Even though it took me an hour and a half each time, and a lot of leave-in-conditioner, I would straighten my hair several times a week. While it looked pretty good from afar, I had tons of breakage and split ends.

For the last few months I have worked to repair my hair. The first change I made was to get regular trims, which helped with the split ends.  I also started doing a mayonnaise hair treatment about once every two weeks. I know what you’re thinking…mayo? Gross! But it works ahhhmazinggly to get that silky smooth and soft texture that everyone seeks. Along with that, I’ve started putting a small amount of coconut oil in my hair before washing it. I dampen it first, and it works really well on days I don’t overdo it. When you use too much, especially around your hairline, it can make your hair look really wet and greasy which is the opposite of what you want!

Last, and the change I’m most excited about, is the “no shampoo” trend that has circulated all over the internet. I have started using baking soda as shampoo and apple cider vinegar as conditioner and it has greatly improved my hair! Last time I wore my hair curly, my family and friends raved over my curls and asked why I didn’t wear my natural hair every day.

Of these changes, I totally recommend all of them, but I know that things like miracle whip aren’t for everyone! So for those of you that want to improve your hair without having to deal with weird smells or oily mishaps, I suggest trying the baking soda and vinegar diluted in a good amount of water so it doesn’t smell as strong, and also using a little non-sulfate conditioner afterward if the vinegar after-smell really bothers you (although after washing it out I can’t smell it the next day.) Also don’t blow dry your hair if you can help it! I usually braid my hair after showering and let it air dry before styling so that moisture is keep intact. These tips should work for most hair types, but is especially good for you crazy haired ladies like myself! Have a good hair day ladies!

https://quasenostrinta.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/monica-geller1.jpg

http://indulgy.ccio.co/k4/Id/qj/183451384791002125GPR6AVjSc.jpg

I am a Junior at App majoring in Apparel Design and Merchandising. I love dresses, thrifting, playing soccer, reading magazines, celebrity closets, bubble baths, mom & pop restaurants, and giving relationship advice. I hate waking up early, band aids, Dr. Phil, and men with big muscles.