This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Okay, I know most of you probably already know this…but, until this week, I honestly had no clue that Keith Urban is Australian. I really don’t know how I missed this information- I listen to Keith Urban’s music all the time. I just never looked into where he is from.

If you think I’m completely crazy, you can stop reading now. But if you’re like me, and this information somehow skipped over you, we are in this together and now we will be in the loop when it comes to this country music singer.

Keith Urban was born in Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand. When he was two years old, he moved to Queensland, Australia with his family. At four years old he was given a ukulele, and he then picked up the guitar when he was six.

As a teenager, Keith Urban formed a band and toured throughout Australia, and eventually won an award at an Australian country music festival…and you know the rest from there.

I don’t know why this came as such a shock to me, I just never put Keith Urban + country music + Australia altogether.

But what I do know is that this makes Urban even more unique and his roots have shaped him into the [amazing] singer he is today.