This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

The past few days – even weeks – have been a whirlwind for everyone in Boone, especially those within the Appalachian community. The start of school has been filled with tragedy, crime and overall scary topics that are A-typical for this community, and while the university is taking extra measures to ensure the mental and physical safety of students, there has still been something missing from campus. 

The issues our campus have faced lately should not be downplayed. They’re serious, important topics that may be hard to swallow, but that should not just be swept under the rug. Sometimes in today’s society, it is easy to overlook hard matters or to put them in a less-serious light, but that doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. 

University administration has done its part – provided extra counseling resources, encouraged the use of campus Safe Ride and University Police, and informed students on how to “make safer choices”, among other things. But this isn’t about what the university is or isn’t doing, it’s about the reaction of the students. What has been missing from campus is the feeling of unity and pride that usually is found everywhere you go. 

Where’s all the usual support on Sanford? Where’s the different paintings and messages in the free expression tunnels? Where are the tweets, Facebook posts and Instagram photos supporting one another? Sure, there’s been a few here and there, but there certainly hasn’t been the usual, expected outpour of concern.

So, this is just a reminder, collegiettes. A reminder that it is our job as students and members of this community to pick each other up – not tear each other down. It is our duty to keep each other safe, to be each others shoulder to cry on, and to persevere through this tough time together. We’re the ones responsible for each other. We’re the ones responsible for this campus. 

This is a reminder that to be an Appalachian student is to be a part of something bigger than yourself. This is a reminder of how hard past alumni and administration have worked to make this community we love so tight-knight, and how it is our responsibility to keep it that way. Often times we see a problem, but don’t put in the effort necessary to fix it. It is our time to rise above the adversity on our campus lately, Mountaineers. But we have to do it together. 

Reach out to your friends; reach out to strangers. Many students have been affected by recent events on and off campus – let them know that you’re there for them like they would and will be for you when the time comes. It makes a difference. You can make a difference. Use your resources wisely – talk to residence hall assistants, the counseling center, your roommate and even your professors – don’t hesitate to reach out to anyone. 

It is important to take care of yourself, but it just as important to take care of each other. We are a community, we are one. Let’s start acting like it.