It’s a Rho Gamma Life for Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Joining Greek Life at Appalachian State is the best decision I have made thus far in college, but disaffiliating from it is too.

As Panhellenic Recruitment creeps around the corner here at Appalachian State, 43 girls, including myself, have chosen to disaffiliate from our respective organizations to serve as Rho Gammas. A Rho Gamma, more commonly known as a Recruitment Counselor, is a woman who helps Potential New Members go through the Formal Sorority Recruitment process. All 43 of us have had to temporarily disaffiliate from our organizations to give unbiased help to PNMs during this process.

Being a Rho Gamma is like being a big sister. Big sisters are supposed to help guide you through life and that’s what we do for these girls during recruitment. Most of them are only freshman or sophomores and this is such a vulnerable time in their lives that we get to guide them through. Whether recruitment is filled with tears or laughter, their Rho Gamma’s are there for them every step of the way. We actually made baskets full of treats to give to the girls after each round so they don’t get hungry! I really do feel like a big sister because even though I don’t know most of them on a very personal level yet, I do want all of them to find their “home away from home” just as I have.

A lot of people ask me if being a Rho Gamma is worth it. I mean yeah, I don’t get to talk to my sisters on campus (because I’m disaffiliated) or go to Dos with my roomie, but I honestly feel called to do this. Being chosen to be a Rho Gamma came to me during a time in my life where I didn’t feel very important. I had been trying to get involved with things, but for one reason or another nothing seemed to work out. I honestly feel like being chosen to do this was a blessing in my life. Not only have I met some of the most amazing girls in other organizations I probably wouldn’t have if it wasn’t for this opportunity, but I’ve made lifelong relationships.

I chose to be a Rho Gamma because I want to be a resource and a support system to girls who want to love Appalachian State’s Greek Life as much as I do. So temporarily giving up my letters to help other women find theirs isn’t a sacrifice, it’s a reward.

#GROWGREEK #ASUPANLOVE

Christiana is a Senior at Appalachian State, where she is an Elementary Education major. She is the Editor in Chief of Her Campus App State and a sister of Sigma Kappa Sorority and serves as her chapter's Vice President of Scholarship. In her free time, Christiana likes to look at cute pictures of puppies, watch Netflix, and eat Ben and Jerry's Half Baked ice cream. She hopes to be a Kindergarten teacher one day, and to be a role model for elementary schoolers everywhere.