It’s Never too Late to Get Out of Your Comfort Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Now that I’m halfway through my junior year of college, I can only sit and reflect about how fast the time is flying by and all the things I still plan to accomplish before I graduate.

This is one of those things. I’m a journalism major who is terrified to have anyone read her writing.

Sad, right?

Well, that’s my reality. I love to write, but I’m actually terrified of putting my own work out there aside from the assignments I turn in for my classes.

I decided this year that it was time to change that mindset. 2018 has already been a huge year of self-discovery and realizations. So, I figured I might as well keep this ball rolling. Instead of choosing to stress out over how much writing I’m doing for my major, I’m only looking forward to the opportunities facing my fear will provide me once I leave Appalachian State.

As a kid, I read all of those teen magazines like Seventeen, TigerBeat and J-14, and I always felt like I wasn’t alone and that I had that best friend figure that helped me see how other girls my age were dealing with changes in their lives.

After looking up to and being inspired by so many other stories, I knew I had to be apart of it one day.

I decided to major in journalism not just because I love to write, but because I love how broad the major is. I can choose to go into reporting, or I can apply to write for any online publishing company or magazine of my choosing. I want to make an impact, so that I can also be that outlet for any child or teen to go to in hopes to seek advice for the questions they’re too afraid to speak up and ask.

Journalism could take me anywhere in the world and I can’t express how lovely that sounds. Since a young age, I’ve known that I’m not one to want a 9 – 5 job where I sit at an office all day. I want to be more involved and I want it to be more fast paced. This year has already become my favorite year that I’ve spent in Boone, and I can’t wait to see where the rest of this year takes me.

One of the biggest things I’ve learned this year is to turn your nerves into excitement. Realize that no matter your age, passions or hobbies, it is never too late to try something that scares you.

So here’s to trying new things, finding new inspirations, and learning everyday to ignore the urge to conform to other people’s expectations and live the life you want to live.

Dianna is a graduate of the class of 2019 at Appalachian State University where she studied Public Relations, Journalism and English. At Her Campus, she served as App State's campus correspondent and editor-in-chief.